RP for travel decision

Jan 16, 2020
I've been a long time lurker and finally joined. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's light weight and compactness. I have a 5dmk4 and want something lighter to travel without sacrificing too much. I shoot mainly photos so video is a non issues for me. I also want to keep the cost down so that's why I'm leaning toward the RP rather than R. Question is should I pull the trigger? Has anyone had experience traveling with the RP?

It depends on what lenses you plan on bringing. I have the R and 5D4, and I prefer the R for most use cases except for sports and when I want to use GPS. When I travel, most of the weight is in lenses, not the camera body. If you're going to be adapting all your EF lenses onto the RP, then I'd suggest just sticking with the 5D4. If you are also planning on using something like the RF 35 f/1.8 IS as your primary lens, then it might be worth looking into.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2020
It depends on what lenses you plan on bringing. I have the R and 5D4, and I prefer the R for most use cases except for sports and when I want to use GPS. When I travel, most of the weight is in lenses, not the camera body. If you're going to be adapting all your EF lenses onto the RP, then I'd suggest just sticking with the 5D4. If you are also planning on using something like the RF 35 f/1.8 IS as your primary lens, then it might be worth looking into.
Thinking of getting the RF24-105L with it because I hear it's really good. As far as adapting, I might bring the 40mm pancake as well.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2020
I want to keep kit small, probably a good walk around lens mostly, leaning toward RF 24-105L.
You may want to wait till May, in order to decide which RF lens(-es) to buy, at least.
That sounds like good advice. Plus my local camera shop has no tax day deals from time to time that I will look out for.

Upvote 0
Thinking of getting the RF24-105L with it because I hear it's really good. As far as adapting, I might bring the 40mm pancake as well.

What EF lenses do you have?

The RF 35 f/1.8 IS is a nice lens. I think it's more versatile than the 40mm pancake. The RF bokeh isn't as nice as the 35L II, but it also gets to 0.5x mag ratio and is better in lower light than the 40mm pancake. The RF 35 isn't that much bigger than the 40mm pancake + adaptor.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2020
What EF lenses do you have?

The RF 35 f/1.8 IS is a nice lens. I think it's more versatile than the 40mm pancake. The RF bokeh isn't as nice as the 35L II, but it also gets to 0.5x mag ratio and is better in lower light than the 40mm pancake. The RF 35 isn't that much bigger than the 40mm pancake + adaptor.
I have quite a few EF lenses, 50mm 1.4, 135L F2, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L F4, 24-105L F4, Tamron 90macro. The RF 35 does sound tempting.

Upvote 0
I've been a long time lurker and finally joined. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in the fall and have been thinking about getting the RP for it's light weight and compactness. I have a 5dmk4 and want something lighter to travel without sacrificing too much. I shoot mainly photos so video is a non issues for me. I also want to keep the cost down so that's why I'm leaning toward the RP rather than R. Question is should I pull the trigger? Has anyone had experience traveling with the RP?
Welcome Moya.

By "fall", I'll assume you mean "autumn" ;) - and while I don't have experience of the RP for travel, I do have lots of experience of Scotland in autumn, and while you will hopefully get some great days, you should also expect a fair bit of moisture, especially if you're planning on visiting the more photogenic West. Therefore, just a thought for you: consider carefully the weather sealing of any equipment you take.

Not to knock either R or RP, but your 5Div may yet be the best option...

Happy travels.

Stoical.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have quite a few EF lenses, 50mm 1.4, 135L F2, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L F4, 24-105L F4, Tamron 90macro. The RF 35 does sound tempting.

With that list, I'd suggest just bringing the 5D4, 24-105L and the 50 f/1.4. The RP is better matched to the 6D2 than the 5D4 with a max 1/4000s speed, etc.

When I travel, I usually bring a UWA, normal zoom and a tele zoom. I might not carry all the lenses each day, but I like having options.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Welcome Moya.

By "fall", I'll assume you mean "autumn" ;) - and while I don't have experience of the RP for travel, I do have lots of experience of Scotland in autumn, and while you will hopefully get some great days, you should also expect a fair bit of moisture, especially if you're planning on visiting the more photogenic West. Therefore, just a thought for you: consider carefully the weather sealing of any equipment you take.

Not to knock either R or RP, but your 5Div may yet be the best option...

Happy travels.

Stoical.
Exactly my thoughts - weather sealing for autumnal Scotland, with "moisture" being a nice understatement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Resolution in corners at 24 in this setup could be lacking, compared to 5D4 with a rectilinear lens (or even to G5X II).
I traveled in Europe for a little over a month in the fall shooting with a G5X II. I’m quite pleased with the results.

When I last was in Scotland, I was shooting a G7X II. I printed some of those pictures on 13” x 19” paper, had them framed, and they now hang on a wall in my house.

I make a distinction based on the purpose of the trip. If I am primarily visiting interesting places as travel, I find that the G cameras allow me to take good pictures but don’t get in the way. If I am going somewhere primarily to make pictures, I take my full-frame camera and appropriate lenses.

Your purposes and choices are probably different from mine. I used to be more serious about photography, and found that having a camera along at all got in the way of my seeing and doing things. So I went for years leaving cameras at home. When I found I could put picture taking in greater perspective, I started taking cameras along again. Now in the age of cell phones, we are never completely without a camera anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I've been in Scotland many many times.
Absolutely beautiful country, even when it rains.
And it often rains...
So, take the 5 DIV, and not the R or RP!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The RP feels a lot lighter than the R (with the same lens), which has a denser feel, but it is still quite a bit lighter and a lot smaller than a 5D (or even 6D).

Its main weakness is the weak battery (which is why I will probably keep the R). It does not have a proper indicator either, so it is hard to predict when it is going to go down. On the upside it charges quite fast in-camera with a PD compatible power bank, overall the RP is a good travel camera with an excellent RF 24-105/4 IS lens.

Here are few takes on it:

Last edited:
Upvote 0