RP - Now I have one.....

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Rado.
To me this would make sense, especially if you have ETTL set, the camera doesn’t know you only want fill flash, it defaults to flash based exposure.

Cheers, Graham.

Can you test something for me? I have the R and when I put a flash into the hotshoe (or a wireless trigger) and turn it on, the camera disables exposure simulation if it's on. That makes sense in a studio setting but it drives me nuts outside when I just want to use the flash for some fill. I couldn't find a way how to disable this "feature". Is the RP the same?

Upvote 0
Hi Rado.
To me this would make sense, especially if you have ETTL set, the camera doesn’t know you only want fill flash, it defaults to flash based exposure.

Cheers, Graham.

I think the solution to "the camera doesn't know" is to let me make the choice because I do know, instead of locking me out of a big selling point of mirrorless tech (realtime exposure preview). I would not object if this was the default behavior that I can tweak, but I haven't found a way to tweak it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Rado.
I couldn’t agree more, I didn’t realise you were locked out, unable to over ride this, I was reading it as though you were having to go in and re enable it, not that you were locked out.

Cheers, Graham.

I think the solution to "the camera doesn't know" is to let me make the choice because I do know, instead of locking me out of a big selling point of mirrorless tech (realtime exposure preview). I would not object if this was the default behavior that I can tweak, but I haven't found a way to tweak it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wasn’t paying careful attention so unconfirmed, but IIRC if I half-pressed the shutter right after image capture, the R didn’t even show the review image, it went straight back to the live image in both the EVF and on the rear LCD.
Was out shooting again today, confirmed that it goes right back to the live image if the shutter is half-pressed, skipping the 2 s image review even if the review is enabled.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

troppobash

CR Pro
May 29, 2014
Was out shooting again today, confirmed that it goes right back to the live image if the shutter is half-pressed, skipping the 2 s image review even if the review is enabled.

Thanks Neuro.

Yes I thought that would be the case as it is a feature on my G1XMII. I believe it will be a feature on all 'M', 'R' and the GX series cameras.
Pretty cool as you can keep your review as default ON and view it when you have time to look at it either through the EVF or LCD or you can press the shutter half way to be in live view. to take another photo and skip the review.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Ah.....CR3!

Just went for a walk with the new camera to try out a multitude of things. Set up the control ring to change ISO and now have a pretty good ability to change the "triad" easily. Came home and uploaded to my trusty WIN 7 machine and find I cannot open .CR3's! I've upgraded LR, PS, Bridge (all Adobe products) and Topaz to the latest versions. I've downloaded ACR to DNG coverter. No go.

Seems only DPP is available to open these images. That's gonna make me change my workflow a bit unless someone out there has a different idea.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I am going to get a cable to charge. A USB-C cable is small enough to stick into my small bag. Canon offers (pre-order) a USB-C charger for $190. A simple USB-C cable from my laptop to the camera is a way cheaper way to go (<$20) and I see that's what Neuro has done for his R. But, as the compulsive guy I can be, I might want to get a small wall charge to USB-C device, as well. But, these devices come in a lot of flavors in terms of volts and amps. Trying to find some information on what the camera parameters are in terms of USB-C input. Anyone have any information on this?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am going to get a cable to charge. A USB-C cable is small enough to stick into my small bag. Canon offers (pre-order) a USB-C charger for $190. A simple USB-C cable from my laptop to the camera is a way cheaper way to go (<$20) and I see that's what Neuro has done for his R. But, as the compulsive guy I can be, I might want to get a small wall charge to USB-C device, as well. But, these devices come in a lot of flavors in terms of volts and amps. Trying to find some information on what the camera parameters are in terms of USB-C input. Anyone have any information on this?
You need a charger that supports USB Power Delivery (USB PD). My EOS R came with a short USB-C cable in the box.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Put it on Eco mode. I don't see much different except for the review and LCD is much shorter. Tried the viewfinder on the economy setting and it became pretty "choppy." I have 3 batteries (one that came with the camera and 2 from before) so I will leave the viewfinder on "smooth" for now. The feels very much slower than the %Div but the reality is it will not matter for most applications.

So, at the end of the day, the biggest annoyance is the need to use DPP to view the RP's .CR3 files and then sends a TIFF back to PS (or LR through a circuitous route). I know that the folks at Adobe will get a .CR3 reader for LR and PS (and hopefully so will Topaz) but I hope that is soon. Anyway, I think this is a "keeper" now that I've had a few days with it.

Upvote 0