Rumored Canon EOS M6 Mark II specifications [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
...and all of a sudden I became interested in the M line.

That sounds like a pretty compelling spec sheet for the M6. To be taken with a big pinch of salt I assume, or else we may find ourselves very salty when it is actually announced.
Same here!

Interesting times! We are starting to see what a Mirrorless camera should be.

Tom W

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2012
High-speed continuous shooting at a maximum of 16 FPS (with AE/AF)
RAW Burst mode at 30 FPS (with AE/AF)
4k 30p with no crop or pixel binning
Full HD up to 180p (I guess admin or source meant to say 180fps?)
All these are not even closer to normally what Canon delivers. Canon is a company even if they can do it technically they will not offer these in a camera at this level. Good amount of salt required here.
They will if Sony is eating their lunch!

Reactions: canonical

raptor3x

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 26, 2012
State College, PA
whumber.com
I'm extremely sceptical about this.

Sony just managed to get 610 MP/s throughput in their new high end monster DSLM. If Canon suddenly can pull 520 (32.5*16) and even up to 975 MP/s (32.5*30) in some burst mode from their Dual Pixel sensors in a mid level camera, they must have made some packt with the devil.

It can't be real. The internet would likely break from the shock that this would sent through the forum warrior community. Canon beating Sony on specs? Never.
The Sony made m43 sensors have been doing 1200 MP/s for a few years now and the new 1" sensor they launched today can do 1800 MP/s.

Reactions: canonical

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
High-speed continuous shooting at a maximum of 16 FPS (with AE/AF)
RAW Burst mode at 30 FPS (with AE/AF)
4k 30p with no crop or pixel binning
Full HD up to 180p (I guess admin or source meant to say 180fps?)
All these are not even closer to normally what Canon delivers. Canon is a company even if they can do it technically they will not offer these in a camera at this level. Good amount of salt required here.
My Oly has a burst mode of 60FPS, so I find a burst rate of 30 in a larger sensor to be reasonable.

May 24, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

Sony just managed to get 610 MP/s throughput in their new high end monster DSLM. If Canon suddenly can pull 520 (32.5*16) and even up to 975 MP/s (32.5*30) in some burst mode from their Dual Pixel sensors in a mid level camera, they must have made some packt with the devil.

It can't be real. The internet would likely break from the shock that this would sent through the forum warrior community. Canon beating Sony on specs? Never.
This is the first time I've seen anything referred to as a DSLM, I always thought MILC was the acronym?

Reactions: Quirkz

Mr Majestyk

EOS 80D
Feb 20, 2016
If this is true colour me shocked (in a good way). This would fianlly mean Canon would definitely be showing signs of waking from its self-induced coma. Those specs are quite impressive. Is that a Canon sensor and is it stacked. 16fps with AE/AF is getting beyond mechanical shutter especially at this price point, so e-shutter would make sense, but unless it has tricks like the Fuji XT-3 it would require stacked sensor or global shutter. The M5 might be nice, but I'd prefer to see this same feature set in APS-C RF mount camera.

FredEOS

EOS R / m50 / a6400
Jul 18, 2019
What I want is an APS-C mirrorless camera with great specs... can't say i love the M mount, but i'll get one with an EF adaptor for sure!!!
Viltrox speed booster on my m50 does fantastic with my L glasses. So good that I’ve never removed it from the body and the canon regular adapter is collecting dust on a shelf ;)

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
Viltrox speed booster on my m50 does fantastic with my L glasses. So good that I’ve never removed it from the body and the canon regular adapter is collecting dust on a shelf ;)
Because mounting EF lenses does not need any conversion to different protocol like in the case of Sony - Canon adapters. It's just physically adapting the lens.

genriquez

I'm New Here
Feb 5, 2019
It's interesting.

Canon goes all in on full frame mirrorless glass while working slowly on full frame bodies.

But with the M series they slowly work on glass (I think the average is about 1 new lens per year since the M line started) but go all in on the bodies.

As an m50 owner I would love more prime M lenses.

HaroldC3

EOS 80D
Jul 6, 2014
While I'm just as excited as the next person (I own an M6 currently). I have to wonder if the EF-M lenses could even resolve 32MP? Also, wouldn't that reduce the diffraction limit even more? At f6.3 you'd be at the limit already.

unfocused

EOS 5D SR
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
...Canon goes all in on full frame mirrorless glass while working slowly on full frame bodies...
Not to pick on you, but I get pretty sick of these kinds of comments. From 2005 to 2012 Canon had exactly two full frame DSLRs. That's seven years. In six months they introduced two EOS R bodies and there are pretty good indications that they will have one or two more in the next year. I get it. They have not released the body that you personally want, so they are moving slowly.

crazyrunner33

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2011
Enhanced Movie IS - so computational IS once again? Most probably means there is no IBIS yet. Also - external viewfinder. I like M6 design more than M5, it is just that hot-shoe would be useful for occassional flash photography (mostly talking external studio or portable strobes). Pity they did not come with the pop-up one, like with the G5 X mkII.
I'm curious how good the digital IS performs in 4k. It might have to crop the sensor quite a bit.

Jack Jian

I'm New Here
Feb 14, 2018

Don't be skeptical, If I remember correctly, Canon always pulls off this kind of stunts. Some example I know are (not in particular order):
1. EF - AF Motor in Lens
2. EF 50 f1.0 (Nikon shattered!)
3. EOS 5D (World's first "affordable" FF, which is still going great till this day!)
4. World's first ILC IS lens
5. USM Motors
6. STM motors
7. 5D II (FHD video DSLR)
8. Fully touched capable articulating screen
9. DPAF
10. Some coatings & special lens elements
11. The modern RF lenses
12. First 50MP DSLR
13. Lightest tele primes among the competition.

Now in the pipeline:
- New Sensor which could exceed Sony sensors.
- QPAF (Quad pixel)
- I am sure the new RF 70-200 will not extend and that itself will baffles many, if true!
- Maybe some more...

If we look at each of these announcements, Canon kills the competition and gains the upper hand relative to what it's competing at that time, which people doubts and are skeptical before the announcement!

So don't be skeptical, it's normal if you look at the past carefully. ;)

genriquez

I'm New Here
Feb 5, 2019
Not to pick on you, but I get pretty sick of these kinds of comments. From 2005 to 2012 Canon had exactly two full frame DSLRs. That's seven years. In six months they introduced two EOS R bodies and there are pretty good indications that they will have one or two more in the next year. I get it. They have not released the body that you personally want, so they are moving slowly.
Sorry I was misleading. I don't personally want any new full frame mirrorless body. I'm plenty happy with the full frame DSLR body options. I'm complaining about the slow development of M lenses.

I love the portability of crop sensor mirrorless bodies and glass when I need something light and small.

When I don't need portability I love having a heavy full frame DSLR with full frame glass.