Rumored Canon EOS M6 Mark II specifications [CR1]

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
If you want the ultimate in quality, FF and big glass is hard to beat..... but it is terrible for portability.

The M line will never have the quality or ergonomics of even the lowest FF camera, but for price and portability it’s hard to beat. The lenses are slow because The target audience wants them small and inexpensive.
I actually choose my M50 over my 6D when shooting landscape at ISO100 because it has better dynamic range. This is because the M50's sensor is newer than the one on 6D. We saw a DR pump with the 5DIV's sensor (same sensor that is on the EOS R), and with the 80D (same sensor that's on the 80D, I believe), and so let's hope this newer sensor delivers!

Reactions: FredEOS

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
Few years ago Canon bought Toshiba Medical. What if they also got some help from Toshiba for its processors technology? It would explain big jump in processing speed of new M6.
If Canon is about to roll out a new sensor with a big jump in processor speed, my guess is that it is based on a long term plan going back to the decision to build mirrorless cameras based on dual pixel technology. The development of high speed processors would have been part of the plan. Apparently, Canon decided roll out the R and RP cameras, along with some RF lenses before some of the sensor and processing technologies were ready to go.

Reactions: FredEOS and Pape

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
I see one inconsistency in the delivered data:
32.5 Mpix leads to the conclusion that the longer side of the sensor is ~6870 pixels long (we do not know if the total pixel count is net or gross pixel count) - a 1.3 crop without binning means that the long side of the active sensor area shoud be 1.3 x 3840 pixels wide which is 4992 pixels which is a 12 MPix sensor ???? - o.k., it's CR 1.
I see a non-binned 1.8x crop if I calculated everything right.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
32.5 Mpix leads to the conclusion that the longer side of the sensor is ~6870 pixels long (we do not know if the total pixel count is net or gross pixel count) - a 1.3 crop without binning means that the long side of the active sensor area shoud be 1.3 x 3840 pixels wide which is 4992 pixels which is a 12 MPix sensor ???? - o.k., it's CR 1.
4K requires a 3840 by 2560 sensor, or 9.8 megapixels

If they used 3x3 blocks of pixels and processed them into 2x2 blocks of pixels you would need 5760 by 3840 pixels, or 22.1 megapixels. (Hey! Maybe they are going to do 6K video! )

That would give you a 1.2 times crop on the sensor....this gives you room enough to the sides to pixel shit the image to stabilize the video.

Of course, all this is just rumours and until things are properly announced, we are all guessing

++k

I'm New Here
Jul 27, 2019
The specs sound plausible, especially if you look at yesterday's announcement of RX100 Mk7 with a 90FPS mode. In comparison, 16FPS or even 30FPS doesn't sound all that impressive. I know it's apples and oranges, but they compete for a similar target group, and again, even with these rumoured M6 specs, it looks like Sony would have the upper hand. And since M6 will most probably share a lot of tech with 90D (which is now going to replace 7D), it would become the cheapest ticket into the new-gen Canon's flagship APS-C sensor and processor. Nice!

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
The specs sound plausible, especially if you look at yesterday's announcement of RX100 Mk7 with a 90FPS mode. In comparison, 16FPS or even 30FPS doesn't sound all that impressive. I know it's apples and oranges, but they compete for a similar target group, and again, even with these rumoured M6 specs, it looks like Sony would have the upper hand. And since M6 will most probably share a lot of tech with 90D (which is now going to replace 7D), it would become the cheapest ticket into the new-gen Canon's flagship APS-C sensor and processor. Nice!
I do not see the RX 100 mk 7 and e.g. the M50 in the same target group.

Not being able to change the lens is another differentiator between both cameras / RX is a "use-as-it-is"-solution while M50 is part of a system with a vast number of components.

While the spec list of the RX is impressive the image quality is IMO far from M50 in terms of rendering the scene naturally - while the technical quality of the RX in sharpness and low noise is very good (image gallery of dpreview).

canonnews

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
non binned would presumably mean they are downsampling.
otherwise, yes, 1.82x crop 1:1 pixels.

FredEOS

EOS R / m50 / a6400
Jul 18, 2019
I actually didn't pick it up - I've been gambling that the 5D won't fail and I won't drop it off a cliff - so far so good. I decided to wait and see what the high resolution R looks like and if it's compelling and uses the same battery I'd consider that but treat the new camera as the primary and the 5D as the backup. May not be all that different from a weight/size perspective, but it could open new doors, give me the backup I'm after, and give me my eventual R mount transition path. Once that camera's announced officially I'll be able to see if it can work as I hope, and if not then the R will be perfect and maybe cheaper by then too. I figure I can be patient for now if I'm willing to bet my worst fears won't come true. We'll see!
I replaced my 5Div with the EOS R, that’s like a jump in the future. I think that people that didn’t make that switch just never tried the EOS R. I will never go back to a DSLR camera, and I think that Canon won’t either.

I believe that we won’t see anything else but mirrorless cameras in the future, and just let me know if anyone can name a camera released in the last 18 months by Sony, Nikon, Fuji, any competition, that is not mirrorless. There will be no 1Dx3 or 5D5 or 90D, but R and M bodies... hey guys wake up and get yourself a RF mount camera if you don’t want to be left in the dust...

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
I replaced my 5Div with the EOS R, that’s like a jump in the future. I think that people that didn’t make that switch just never tried the EOS R. I will never go back to a DSLR camera, and I think that Canon won’t either.

I believe that we won’t see anything else but mirrorless cameras in the future, and just let me know if anyone can name a camera released in the last 18 months by Sony, Nikon, Fuji, any competition, that is not mirrorless. There will be no 1Dx3 or 5D5 or 90D, but R and M bodies... hey guys wake up and get yourself a RF mount camera if you don’t want to be left in the dust...
Telling an owner of an 5DIV (or many other cameras) that they are going to be left in the dust is plain silly. Cameras are for taking photographs., and many cameras can be used to make excellent photographs.

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
Telling an owner of an 5DIV (or many other cameras) that they are going to be left in the dust is plain silly. Cameras are for taking photographs., and many cameras can be used to make excellent photographs.
You both are right, BillB: Many cameras are very good tools and can be used for several years from now on. But the development of new phantastic lenses which might be a much better tool for a lot of photographers will be in the mirrorless sector. While I usually hate to have to much electronics between me and reality I have to say that FredEOS' statement "left in the dust" with DSLRs might be close to the truth.
I made the switch to a non-experimental mirrorless camera with the M50 and I am convinced about the mirrorless concept. It combines the freedom to chose AF points where I WANT IT and not where the camera has one. Just that relatively cheap camera gives me that and an electronic level + the insurance that I do not burn my eyes if the sun is in the frame (wanted or accidentally). Not to forget the preview (exposure, color model) through the viewfinder.

I am shure that Canon will introduce a D1x mark iii and some EOS80 / EOS7D successor as last DSLRs who want to use that camera type for an extended period but in the long run it will be substituted by mirrorless because electronics are getting cheaper, mechanics not.

Reactions: FredEOS and Pape

Joules

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If no competitors were to release any DSLR going forward, that's all the more reason for Canon to do it. They have all the tech and experience, if DSLR were suddenly to become the niche market, it could still be very profitable to offer products for it if nobody else did.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
[/QUOTE]

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hope you're kidding... you are taking your wishes for reality!

jolyonralph

EOS R Mark II
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Huh, there's really no way of knowing whether there is room for a teleconverter or not just because we know (kinda) that the lens extends when zooming.

look at that rear element.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
You really think Canon will just abandon over half of the global ILC market? LOL.

Reactions: stevelee

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You really think Canon will just abandon over half of the global ILC market? LOL.
No, they will not abandon the market.... but that does not mean that they do not have a different product in the works for that market.

In broad strokes, there are three basic markets for cameras and a lot of tiny specialty markets.

The first and largest is phone cameras. Canon is not in that market.

Second is P/S cameras. Canon is there and seems to be continuing it’s presence.... more of the same!

The third market is interchangeable lens cameras, where we have tiny, medium, and large.

Tiny are the M line. If you want small and inexpensive, this is your place.

Large are the FF cameras, with and without mirrors. These are expensive and the lenses are large. It looks like these cameras are transitioning to Mirrorless.

Medium are things like the Rebels (and other) crop cameras. They are the big seller, and you are right..... no way is Canon going to abandon the market. But it does not mean that we are not going to see the equivalent cameras in a Mirrorless mount.

Last edited:

miketcool

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2017
My EOS R backs up my 5DIV, but doesn’t replace it. There are still a dozen regular situations that I encounter where a DSLR is superior. One of the minor ones is that RF lenses don’t have focus distance indicators on the lens which makes setting the focus to infinity near impossible manually.

Reactions: FredEOS and edoorn