Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

I am personally extremely disappointed that the Touch Bar is being removed. I use it regularly on my R and find it to be the easiest way to adjust Kelvin WB quickly. I just don't understand why they would add a joystick???? There is no reason for it.

You're like, the only one who cares about this... lol. Lots of reasons to add a joystick! Avoiding nose input, moving AF point with gloves on, shooting with the screen facing in...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is the case on certain L brackets but when you buy a well designed model such as from RRS it will work.

The RRS L bracket for the R is not super well designed... Really wish it was a 2-piece design. They did it for the RP, why not the R??? (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My biggest concern is that I am not happy with the speed/refresh/panning/blackout performance of an EVF as of today.
I see the potential of EOS R/RF system but Canon has to tap the full potential yet.
Until then for my type of photography (kids/sports/wildlife) OVF outperforms the EVF by some margin.

About MP count:
And why downsample instead of having fewer but better native pixels? I prefer the latter. 30 MP is more than enough to me.
You also still lose time and calculation power while readout and downsampling the many 75 MP. Not needed here.

Canon should be focusing on a 1D/7D sports-oriented mirrorless like the Sony A9 in addition to the rest of the line, but this is not that camera.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Yes, gloves, but the biggest issue for me is nose input. A joystick (or trackpad off to the side) would allow me to have the camera disable the touch screen when my eye is up to the EVF and avoid the accidental AF point movement from my nose. Also, every now and then I would like to have the screen facing inward and be able to shoot using the EVF only. Right now this is pretty much impossible unless you're using focus & recompose.

This may be an unusual thing to do, but to me, the advantage of using a modern camera with multiple programmable settings (on the RP, C1-C3) and dials is to set up my camera so that I rarely, if ever, have to go into a menu or hit the Q button and adjust any setting while I'm shooting. For this reason, I have turned off the touchscreen on the RP and even flipped it around the other way. I don't need it to control autofocus because I use face + eye tracking when there's a person in the frame and back button focus to the center point (and either then track an object or focus + recompose) when there isn't.

Simplicity is a virtue.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Sounds like a great camera, if true.
Not my choice as I am hoping for a 30 MP brother of it.

But I'd be very much interested in how much Canon could improve the EVF performance.
As long as they don't make a big step here in moving and panning performance, I'd prefer an 5D Mk5 ;)
There is a lot of opportunity for them to make great strides. The rumor cites a larger EVF. Couple that with a desire to leapfrog Sony and the possibility of significant performance boost is real.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I am personally extremely disappointed that the Touch Bar is being removed. I use it regularly on my R and find it to be the easiest way to adjust Kelvin WB quickly. I just don't understand why they would add a joystick???? There is no reason for it.
They added a joystick because of the screams from the internet public. Both of the people who did like the touch bar weren't really heard.
I would say that this would be a great opportunity to get an R on sale.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
well, I photograph architecture as a full time job and sometimes do products as well. there is a big difference in sharpness between 5Ds and 5Dsr and basically everything else is a consequence of this choice. for example you think that 24-70 2.8L is a sharp lens and I got rid of it when I had my 1Ds MkII for the quality reasons. I just don't think you should be using such good for portraits lens for product shots but happy days if you have the client who pays for the job... I use tilt and shift lenses, the same ones you mentioned, and to be honest it doesn't matter what year the lens was built as for example 90mm ts is one of the sharpest lenses canon made and on the other side of the scale is 45mm ts (mark one) which was a disaster, the worst chromatic aberration canon pro lens ever. talking about computers, well, once you get real busy with the postproduction you will start thinking about it, not to mention the beautiful 27 inch retina displays that are one of the tools to show you what your files are really look like. if you don't have such display, no wonder you don't see the problem. all the best!
w
I suspect you haven't seen Keith's website? I don't know anybody who has done larger printing for close viewing and his articles on tilt shift lens use really should be compulsory reading for anybody that eve thinks a T/S lens might be in their bag.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I do like fully articulating screens, just that L Brackets don't do well with them. What's your gripe with them that makes you prefer tilting screens?
I struggled to find a good bracket earlier as RRS still had not shipped their bracket (which I ordered sight unseen). I ended up with a Kirk bracket which did not allow any useful articulation of the screen.
I then found the ProMedia gear bracket which is outstanding. Full articulation with the bonus of a cold shoe to hold my new CamRanger 2.
Having seen the RRS product I am doubly pleased with my choice.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
well, I photograph architecture as a full time job and sometimes do products as well. there is a big difference in sharpness between 5Ds and 5Dsr and basically everything else is a consequence of this choice. for example you think that 24-70 2.8L is a sharp lens and I got rid of it when I had my 1Ds MkII for the quality reasons. I just don't think you should be using such good for portraits lens for product shots but happy days if you have the client who pays for the job... I use tilt and shift lenses, the same ones you mentioned, and to be honest it doesn't matter what year the lens was built as for example 90mm ts is one of the sharpest lenses canon made and on the other side of the scale is 45mm ts (mark one) which was a disaster, the worst chromatic aberration canon pro lens ever. talking about computers, well, once you get real busy with the postproduction you will start thinking about it, not to mention the beautiful 27 inch retina displays that are one of the tools to show you what your files are really look like. if you don't have such display, no wonder you don't see the problem. all the best!
w
It has actually been demonstrated that more MP will help even older, lower spec lenses.
Another great help has been the improvement in AF. On my R, my 70-200 f 2.8 L IS (2002) becomes a new lens compared to my old 5DmkII and even my mk4.
More MP and less noise with improved DR will be a giant benefit to all users of Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
I suspect you haven't seen Keith's website? I don't know anybody who has done larger printing for close viewing and his articles on tilt shift lens use really should be compulsory reading for anybody that eve thinks a T/S lens might be in their bag.
Dear Sir, I did write my opinions only based on my subjective impressions from being a commercial photographer who switched to the sharpest digital canon ever made while being a super demanding perfectionist. I express only my point of view. Had a look at Keith's website after your post. Thank you

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Wow, wot a Pixel Monster. Many will need to add a new high-end notebook to the budget required. This "R" definitely will be a camera for huge prints - maybe also for cropping. But I still hope Canon will add a pro grade "R" with less MP and extended low-light capabilities for users like me.

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
I sure hope they put a Quick Control Dial with Touch Pad implementation on it. This was always one of my favorite features of the 5DII / III bodies and without it, it just doesn't feel like a Canon camera...Sony even ripped off their own version of the Quick Control Dial. Bring it back, Canon!

Quick Control Dial with Touch Pad sounds perfect to me

Upvote 0
You're like, the only one who cares about this... lol. Lots of reasons to add a joystick! Avoiding nose input, moving AF point with gloves on, shooting with the screen facing in...
Well that is just great.... large nosed photographers who wear gloves and shoot with the screen facing in are ruining my R shooting experience. Makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
This will probably set off a huge debate, but I've heard a lot of people talk about it, and I think there's some merit to it.

Does a high megapixel camera really perform any worse in low light compared to a low MP camera? One big caveat I want to say is this though, I'm talking about at the same viewing size!

For instance, while a 1DX MkII undoubtedly goes to a higher ISO than a 5D4, since at any given viewing size the 1DX MkII photo is zoomed in further towards its native resolution than the 5D4 photo, the IDX MkII photo will show comparatively about the same level of noise, since you aren't zoomed in as close on the 5D4 photo to view it at the same size.

I remember somebody posting similarly sized photos from what I think was a 5D4 and a 5DS, and it was apparent that, due to the added size and detail you get from the added resolution on the 5DS, it pretty much negates any advantage the 5D4 might theoretically have in low light.

Essentially, even though each pixel is smaller and doesn't collect light as well on a high MP camera, you end up with what amounts to about the same amount of noise as a lower MP camera, for all practical purposes.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Dear Sir, I did write my opinions only based on my subjective impressions from being a commercial photographer who switched to the sharpest digital canon ever made while being a super demanding perfectionist. I express only my point of view. Had a look at Keith's website after your post. Thank you
No problem, glad it was of use. Did you take the time to look at the high resolution printing comparisons and the extensive use and comparisons of resizing algorithms that Keith has written about over many years now? As far as large format 'fine art' printing I can't think of a better source of actual useful information than Keith's site. LL used to be similarly authoritative but even before Michael passed away it was becoming a shadow of its earlier self.

Upvote 0
Why would you prefer a tilt screen when a flippy one does the same thing, plus more?

No. Usually we take pictures from very high or very low level. The tilt screen would be very fast to tilt up or down. If you are not a Vlogger the articulated screen is useless. You have to do 2 moves instead of one to position it and also it's very fragile.

Upvote 0