S100 vs S95 Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

weilin

So, after digging around Best Buy, I found a s100 box mixed with the s95 boxes. With the exception of the bottom right corner label that said S100, the box looks identical to the old one... Guess which box I took to the counter?

the Setup:
A painting taped to the wall.
constant 60w lightbulb as sole light source in the hallway
camera Tripoded on the floor

s95: F/4 at 50mm (35mm equiv) at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200. Shutter speed was halved at each step to try to maintain consistent exposure. WB set to tungten.

S100: F/4 at 50mm (35mm equiv) at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400. Shutter speed was halved at each step to try to maintain consistent exposure. WB set to tungten.

Getting the photos was the easy part. I slide the SD card into the laptop and Lightroom starts up... and then proceeds to tell me it doesn't recognize the S100 raw files... !! Neither does Microsoft's codec... Neither does DPP... ... ... A little bit of thinking later, I KNOW THE CD! I find the CD that came with the camera and saw that it comes with DPP 3.11. That should do the trick. Only, I have a CULV (lenovo x201) which means: no CD drive... I then go dig for my desktop which is currently in storage in my garage (i'm in the process of moving). Use desktop to create ISO image of the DPP disk. Copy ISO to laptop, mount and install. YAY can finally open raw files!

Edit: Due to limited space, the photos have been taken down

If you have any questions or have any specific test you would like me to do, let me know. Depending upon how late I'm up tonight I may entertain your request

I'm going to play with the camera some more before I post my initial thoughts about it.

Dec 13, 2010
Heidrun said:
I have just bought S 95 and im really happy with this camera as a second camera to my 1D mk III. But i dont understand why there is in the meny something for underwater pictures. This is nor a weather proof camere. And offcourse then you cant use it under water

That|s because you can get a waterproof casing for it, and wb and other things is very tricky under water, so the camera have a setting you use when in the waterproof case. The camera itself is, as you pointed out, NOT waterproof.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.