Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly

Feb 26, 2012
AB
neuroanatomist said:
ND said:
I see less creative or advanced folks realize their vision easier/cleaner with no difference other than access to better sensors. At ISO 100 in nice light I have no issues or DR worries with my 6D. It is a great camera.

Too right, mate. Folks who are truly creative and advanced need to use Nikon or Sony cameras. Canon cameras are for all those unwashed plebes goin' out to take pichurs.

::)

+1 ;)

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
deadwrong said:
Since Canon has stopped with competing and innovation..... Nikon is about to unleash what we've hoped for with the latest Canon's.

Nikon D850 Full Specification
New 46MP FX Format sensor
AF system same as Nikon D5
4K Videos
full HD 120fps video
Tiltable LCD touchscreen
Improved dynamic range
Continuous shooting speed upto 8fps
Improved low-light performace
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
Back illuminated buttons
Joystick selector
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
8K time-lapse video capabilities
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
SD slot will support UHS-II
Improved LiveView split-screen display
Improved silent shooting mode
Better battery life
lighter than the D810

The camera shipping of the camera will start from October and we can expect its official announcement on September 2017.

and in 2 years the D850 will be obsolete. So what?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

dolina said:
I hope Leica Nikon, Pentax and Sony continue to create better products than Canon.

I say this in the hopes that it forces Canon to create better products in the future. :)

Features I would like to be present on the 5DsR Mark 2, 5D Mark 5 and 1D X Mark 3 before 2020.

* CFast and SDXC UHS-II with read/writes better than 167MB/s

* Use a Snapdragon 835 or better SoC because DIGIC appears to be worse in terms of performance per watt

* USB Type-C port with USB Power Delivery for charging and Thunderbolt 3 video output and data transfers

* 3.7-inch Multi-touch IPS Wide color (P3) display but never AMOLED due to burn in

* IP67 Splash, Water, and Dust Resistant

* Larger mAh battery in the same form factor.

* No AA filters

* 4K @ 60fps or better

* 1080p @ 120fps or better

* Video bit rate @ more than 167MB/s

Interesting thoughts. However, for me, long lens performance is the order of the day.

So Sony? Simply not happening!

Leica - well let's have a giggle!

Pentax? Archaic at best.

Nikon? Well I have used them and the AF is hopeless.

Canon? Well they are far from perfect - but they work! Which is much more than I can say for any other system that I have tried!

Why would I, or most of the photographers that I know, bother with the alternatives?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jopa said:
ND said:
Jopa said:
ND said:
While I certainly don't think of these cameras as obsolete, and do see them as great cameras- I don't get the inability to see past the system you're holding in your hands.

Many people who think these are great cameras (they are) period., are intentionally looking past new advancements others are putting out or don't need these advancements.

People come to the thread to post about using their 5DIV or 6DII in perfectly ideal situations (base ISO, prints are big enough for me, studio lighting) and laud how great they are. I never work ideal situations and have to push my 6D files to where they nearly fall apart so I welcome the newest advancements and tech.

While my next camera will not be a Canon, and I'll hesitantly have to replace my great lenses for Nikon or Sony compatible glass- I don't think my 6D or the new Canons are garbage- they're just way behind the cutting edge. I originally bought my 6D because it outperformed what was available- not because it was a Canon.
I'd love to buy a new Canon if they have something to offer next year, but I'll have to chase the good sensors and deal with any other trade-offs.

See below for the anonymous "no- you're stupid" reply to my post......

You're not stupid and your post makes sense. But just out of curiosity - how do Canon sensors limit you're creativity?

They don't fully limit my creativity- but I am hitting walls where I do everything right in the field and end up with sensor issues keeping me from realizing my creative vision at a high level on the back end, in ways that don't come up with a new Nikon or Sony.
I find myself cleaning up sensor flaws/artifacts in post production- not worrying about composition or focus. This tells me that my sensor is my limit at this point. I see it in vivid magenta noise encroaching on 20% of my image if I try to raise shadows or exposure any little bit. The noise isn't even much of an issue with the high ISOs.
I'm dealing with star light and pre-dawn levels of light mostly, and already working with near flawless prime lenses as fast they come.
It's the difficult situations that reveals strengths/weaknesses- this isn't apparent in ideal (daylight with flash, e.g.)
I see less creative or advanced folks realize their vision easier/cleaner with no difference other than access to better sensors. At ISO 100 in nice light I have no issues or DR worries with my 6D. It is a great camera.
But I also don't have those issues with any camera made in the last 6 years.

What kind of photography is that? Astro? Would it be possible to see some examples? Are you sure it can't be fixed by using a different technique?

Right on! Let's see a handful of superb photos to back up the talk. We won't! We seldom do because it's generally typical childish anonymous blah blah blah.

Jack

Jack

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jack Douglas said:
Right on! Let's see a handful of superb photos to back up the talk. We won't! We seldom do because it's generally typical childish anonymous blah blah blah.

Jack

Jack

Don't you get it Jack? If you have the most badass camera, you don't need to take photos anymore, because you know all your photos can turn out perfectly! ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Talys said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack

Don't you get it Jack? If you have the most badass camera, you don't need to take photos anymore, because you know all your photos can turn out perfectly! ;D
It’s a lot cheaper to just lower your standards.....

Attachments

• 87B3FF3D-5168-4054-803F-42478F22A78F.jpeg
    87B3FF3D-5168-4054-803F-42478F22A78F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Mikehit said:
Orangutan said:
Don Haines said:
It’s a lot cheaper to just lower your standards.....

I think you've gone too low, I can barely tell it's a cat. :)

That's the problem - his camera is so high definition the the grid you see is the gaps between the pixels

No aliasing in the grid means even higher resolution or a superb AA filter ;)

Upvote 0