Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly

Mar 26, 2014
deadwrong said:
;D Whoops, looks like some people cant handle the truth. You will see...........Sony and Nikon will bury Canon soon if this continues the trend with Canon's lack of innovation.

Yes, you will.

deadwrong said:
Face it, that is a 2014 Camera.

You need to face a simple truth - the 6D is an economy class camera. Not the place where companies showcase their innovative abilities & latest advances.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
;D Whoops, looks like some people cant handle the truth. You will see...........Sony and Nikon will bury Canon soon if this continues the trend with Canon's lack of innovation.

What 'truth'?
So what you are saying is that if Nikon and Sony make advances and Canon do nothing they will go under. Yep and they will deserve it. You could equally say that if Sony rest on their laurels and do nothing over the next 5 years and Canon keep as they are, then Sony will go under.
So what is the point of your comment?

Here's a question: who has made more gains in sensor performance in the last 3 years? I would say it is Canon. I agree that Canon has not caught up with Sony sensor but Canon sensor 2013 vs 2017 shows greater advance than Sony 2013 vs 2017. Sony are now realising the disadvantages of making a great leap forward.

deadwrong said:
Seen any glowing 6dm2 reviews? Noooooope.

Are you talking about real life users or click-bait review sites? I prefer the former.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Antono Refa said:
Would the D850 suffer from lockups requiring users to take the battery out to release?

Would the D850 suffer from shutter oil splatter problems?

Would it be recalled three times for shutter oil splatter problems?

There's more to a camera than specs.

To be fair, the 1DX2 suffers from similar oil spatter problems and Canon refuses to acknowledge it.

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2017/03/07/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-oil-spatter-on-the-sensor-problems/

or they really showed their true colors with this:

https://www.photocounter.com.au/2013/no-real-winners-in-canon-1dx-argument/

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
padam said:
Antono Refa said:
Would the D850 suffer from lockups requiring users to take the battery out to release?

To be fair, the 1DX2 suffers from similar oil spatter problems and Canon refuses to acknowledge it.

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2017/03/07/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-oil-spatter-on-the-sensor-problems/

To be fair, that's someone claiming two 1D XmkIIs suffer from oil splatter. Even if he's right, two bodies with a problem don't prove it's a serial problem.

Brand names make defective products all the time. I had a Sandisk disk on key malfunctioning out of the box, and an Intel Pentium that failed consistently during Windows installation. Both times I brought the product back to the store, shown to the store owner it is defective, and had it replaced on the spot, end of story.

padam said:

Again, a single story, heard from one side.

Trying to blow three cases out of proportions into denied serial problems proves you have nothing, and you know it.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
padam said:
Antono Refa said:

I have issues with dust on my 1DXII. It shows up at f11, and is a pain from f16-f22. It is small spots. I find them very difficult to remove, and they reappear after a short time. :mad:

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
deadwrong said:
Since Canon has stopped with competing and innovation..... Nikon is about to unleash what we've hoped for with the latest Canon's.

Nikon D850 Full Specification
New 46MP FX Format sensor
AF system same as Nikon D5
4K Videos
full HD 120fps video
Tiltable LCD touchscreen
Improved dynamic range
Continuous shooting speed upto 8fps
Improved low-light performace
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
Back illuminated buttons
Joystick selector
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
8K time-lapse video capabilities
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
SD slot will support UHS-II
Improved LiveView split-screen display
Improved silent shooting mode
Better battery life
lighter than the D810

The camera shipping of the camera will start from October and we can expect its official announcement on September 2017.

maybe you should sell all your Canon gear as it soon be obsolete. Sight unseen, I'll give $10 per body in working condition and the same for each lens.

Let me know when you are ready to sell.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
deadwrong said:

Seen any glowing 6dm2 reviews? Noooooope.

Face it, that is a 2014 Camera.

Do you remember the release of the 6D? There were no overwhelming or glowing reviews that I recall. It was critizised espesially for only having one card slot and a poor AF system. It was repeatedly held up against Nikon D600, which many reviewers claimed was the better option.

What does history tell us about the 6D vs the Nikon D600 today? I think it is fair to claim that the 6D has been a much more popular camera. Look at user feedback on BHPhoto and Amazon, and look at which cameras are the most used in various competions. The Canon 6D is a very higly loved camera, despite what reviewers claimed 4-5 years ago. I bet the 6DII will to. In real world use, ergonomics, handling and overall usability is much more important to most photografers, than an increase in DR (which isn't relevant in 95% of the pictures anyway).

I'm not defending Canons crippling of their lower tier cameras, but I claim that Canon is superior in making user friendly cameras that people like to use - and for the average 6DII buyer, other features will matter a lot more than a rarely experienced lack of DR.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Antono Refa said:
Again, a single story, heard from one side.

Trying to blow three cases out of proportions into denied serial problems proves you have nothing, and you know it.

You can look at all the comments, FM forums etc. I won't waste any more time with links to all the topics, the issue is very much real, but of course some say "I shoot sports at f2.8 anyway" and ignore the problem. This is not the only fiasco Canon had, they just manage to "hide" much better than Nikon - you can read into the second case and you'll know that they probably made similar "offers" to other cases just to close and hide it.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
padam said:
You can look at all the comments, FM forums etc. I won't waste any more time with links to all the topics, the issue is very much real, but of course some say "I shoot sports at f2.8 anyway" and ignore the problem. This is not the only fiasco Canon had, they just manage to "hide" much better than Nikon - you can read into the second case and you'll know that they probably made similar "offers" to other cases just to close and hide it.

Yes, the issue is real, but how do Canon 'hide it much better' if people report it on the internet? What you are talking about is whether the company admits liability.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
padam said:

Sorry to hear that your 1D X II is suffering from oil spatters. When you say 'Canon refuses to acknowledge it,' do you mean they won't accept your camera for service, or that they did service it and reported back that there was nothing wrong with it? Or do you even own a 1D X II? ::)

Do you own a car? Have you searched the Internet about it, and discovered the myriad of defects your car has, that the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge? I have, it's amazing how many problems I have with my year/make/model, that I didn't even know about!! When I experienced the one problem I did have, the traction control warning light coming on intermittently, the wisdom of the Internet informed me it was either a bad brake light or a faulty wheel sensor. It was neither, the dealer replaced the remote engine start module and that fixed the problem.

But back to cameras, there were oil spatter reports with the 1D X, as well. After sufficient incidents for Canon to confirm the problem and identify the affected cameras, Canon issued a service advisory. Personally, my 1D X was in the affected serial number range, and although I had not experienced any problems, I took it in to the Canon NJ service center, they fixed it in under an hour and I was on my way. Note that posts on Internet forums don't constitute 'incidents', Canon only cares about cameras that are sent into them for service (which is what Art Morris is encouraging people to do with their 1D X IIs, quite appropriately).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
benique said:
deadwrong said:

Do you actually take photos or are you just a troll? Show us some.
I vote on troll. Anyone comparing one company's entry model with another company's top model is either a troll or an idiot. But as I said I vote on troll....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
tron said:
benique said:
deadwrong said:

I vote on troll. Anyone comparing one company's entry model with another company's top model is either a troll or an idiot. But as I said I vote on troll....
The two options are not mutually exclusive....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
tron said:
benique said:
deadwrong said:

The two options are not mutually exclusive....

Indeed. They may even be positively correlated...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
padam said:

Sorry to hear that your 1D X II is suffering from oil spatters. When you say 'Canon refuses to acknowledge it,' do you mean they won't accept your camera for service, or that they did service it and reported back that there was nothing wrong with it? Or do you even own a 1D X II? ::)

Do you own a car? Have you searched the Internet about it, and discovered the myriad of defects your car has, that the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge? I have, it's amazing how many problems I have with my year/make/model, that I didn't even know about!! When I experienced the one problem I did have, the traction control warning light coming on intermittently, the wisdom of the Internet informed me it was either a bad brake light or a faulty wheel sensor. It was neither, the dealer replaced the remote engine start module and that fixed the problem.

But back to cameras, there were oil spatter reports with the 1D X, as well. After sufficient incidents for Canon to confirm the problem and identify the affected cameras, Canon issued a service advisory. Personally, my 1D X was in the affected serial number range, and although I had not experienced any problems, I took it in to the Canon NJ service center, they fixed it in under an hour and I was on my way. Note that posts on Internet forums don't constitute 'incidents', Canon only cares about cameras that are sent into them for service (which is what Art Morris is encouraging people to do with their 1D X IIs, quite appropriately).

They acknowledged it on the 1dx, not the mk2. Mine has splatter, though not as bad as the linked post. They took it in for cleaning 3 times but always come back the same. Won't say it's oil splatter. I'm a CPS platinum member and also bought their carepak for this camera, but if they won't acknowledge there's a problem it does me no good.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Cthulhu said:
They acknowledged it on the 1dx, not the mk2. Mine has splatter, though not as bad as the linked post. They took it in for cleaning 3 times but always come back the same. Won't say it's oil splatter. I'm a CPS platinum member and also bought their carepak for this camera, but if they won't acknowledge there's a problem it does me no good.

does "the same" mean the spots are in the same place or it just keeps getting spots?
sometimes the blowers many people recommend to clean sensors actually PUT crud on the sensor.
I'm talking about you, RocketBlower! Seems mold-release wax or something was coming off and getting blasted onto the sensor hard enough to stick and that was tough to remove.... sticky smeary little gunk chunks.

Upvote 0