Sadly, the 6dm2 and 5div to be obsolete shortly

Since Canon has stopped with competing and innovation..... Nikon is about to unleash what we've hoped for with the latest Canon's.

Nikon D850 Full Specification
New 46MP FX Format sensor
AF system same as Nikon D5
4K Videos
full HD 120fps video
Tiltable LCD touchscreen
Improved dynamic range
Continuous shooting speed upto 8fps
Improved low-light performace
New and improved version of SnapBridge
No built-in GPS
Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD
Back illuminated buttons
Joystick selector
Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
8K time-lapse video capabilities
The D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October
No EVF or hybrid viewfinder
D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
SD slot will support UHS-II
Improved LiveView split-screen display
Improved silent shooting mode
Better battery life
lighter than the D810

The camera shipping of the camera will start from October and we can expect its official announcement on September 2017.

Mar 25, 2011
Why would a high end camera obsolete a entry level camera like a 6D MK II? That logic makes no sense. All cameras are obsolete as soon as they are delivered. The technology in them was developed 2 years previously.

There will be some nice features in a D850, but experience tells me to watch out for the things they do not put in the specifications. I bought a D800 when everyone was gushing over the specifications only to find that it was noisy at ISO's over 800, and the tethering capability which I use for product photography was a bad joke. DXO told us about low noise at high ISO, but you had to reduce the image to 8MP to get it.

I'd skip it just because the only source for XQD cards is Sony, and I do not like the limitations of SD cards like requiring a low level format to get advertised speeds.

The final straw, however is lack of a direct print button ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Lets just hope Nikon isn't about to unleash more shutter recalls and virtually unusable wi-fi utilities.

The D850 sounds great "on paper"...

Canon products are consistently the most solidly built and user friendly tools on the market, if that didn't matter to people then Microsoft would still be bailing out Apple.

Oh look, Nikon has a financial future about as bright as the Arctic Circle in December, and Canon is recording growth in a time when their industry is supposed to be failing.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Funny all this talk about Nikon got me curious about DPR's comments on the latest top of the line D5.

"Even at a modest 3 stop push, we see the D5 has already contributed a considerable amount of noise to its low ISO images compared to the 24MP D750. After a 5 stop push the gap widens, with the D750's 5 stop file looking more like the 3 stop file from the D5. In fact, the D5's performance closely resembles the performance seen from the Canon 6D, with just a bit more color noise showing in the 6D's file."

Any 6D shooters should feel pretty good about this, maybe you needed a little boost to your beleaguered ego. ;)

So, the conversation just goes round and round on the same issue with all the animosity as usual. Some things never change.

Jack

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Lets just hope Nikon isn't about to unleash more shutter recalls and virtually unusable wi-fi utilities.

The D850 sounds great "on paper"...

Canon products are consistently the most solidly built and user friendly tools on the market, if that didn't matter to people then Microsoft would still be bailing out Apple.

Oh look, Nikon has a financial future about as bright as the Arctic Circle in December, and Canon is recording growth in a time when their industry is supposed to be failing.

Let alone these are rumored specs, the same way that hybrid evf/ovf was rumored from a photo of some screw holes.

I think it's interesting how people act like the current camera, 5div, d850, a9, are the last cameras to ever be built. They talk about how this camera is offering these specs that will make all the difference. Well 3-4 years from now we will see another group of cameras, all with new specs.

Ill hold off on upgrading my 5d3 and 1dx for another generation. I can almost gaurenteee both will still work flawlessly and continue to create the same quality images they did when they were new. Plus now, it saves money for other purchases, like the 70-200 f2.8is ii I purchased today.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Ryananthony said:
Let alone these are rumored specs, the same way that hybrid evf/ovf was rumored from a photo of some screw holes.

I think it's interesting how people act like the current camera, 5div, d850, a9, are the last cameras to ever be built. They talk about how this camera is offering these specs that will make all the difference. Well 3-4 years from now we will see another group of cameras, all with new specs.

Ill hold off on upgrading my 5d3 and 1dx for another generation. I can almost gaurenteee both will still work flawlessly and continue to create the same quality images they did when they were new. Plus now, it saves money for other purchases, like the 70-200 f2.8is ii I purchased today.

Cameras have more specs people can talk about than lenses. The OP mentioned like 20+ items... Imagine now how many pages we can write about this stuff. Lenses are boring - MTFs and AF speed/accuracy. Booooo :)
It's not even worth mentioning the lenses render pictures, and any sensor made after 2005 or film is more than capable to capture it, right? But who cares, 4k is everything these days.

Took this today with my obsolete piece of garbage 1dx2...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
Since Canon has stopped with competing and innovation..... Nikon is about to unleash what we've hoped for with the latest Canon's.

Well, you've already predicted the A99ii to be a 5D4 killer, and
the 5div and how long this camera has before its totally obsolete within 2 years

and

Soon Canon and Nikon will be the niche market

So maybe as Neuro said 'deadwrong' is actually a good moniker.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
slclick said:
Don Haines said:
All commercially sold cameras are obsolete.... by the time they make it to market, there is much better stuff in the lab...

And somehow, people continue to use those obsolete cameras for ten or more years and get great pictures.....

Can the Mods make this a sticky?

+1

100% of my good pictures aren't great because I had the best camera in the world.

100% of my bad pictures would have still been bad, even if they had been taken with the best camera in the world.

Cameras are not smartphones or PCs. Obsolescence isn't nearly as major an issue, because the technology is very mature. We're also at practical limits of megapixels, because let's be honest, 50MP 5DSR images are a pain. They are massive to archive and store, slow to transfer, and slow to process in post. And for what? Most of us aren't going to print billboards.

Upvote 0