sale without warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jarveye

Can somone tell me if what i suspect is right?

I found a 60D body on ebay for a suspicously cheap price, i investigated and could not fund the catch, it was new in box etc, was not even a hong kong import, cheap delivery all the rest, the guy has a 'top rated seller' badge aswell, i thought i would see what warranty came with it and it was described as:

"This item comes with 3 month warranty by seller which covers repair or replacement of defective products"

so i thought.. hmm odd, usually canon cameras come with 1 , 2 or 3 year warranty from canon... perhaps this is their own additional guarantee ontop of canon's?

so i emailed them to ask and they said no it was just this 3 month seller warranty which is agreed between the manufacturer and seller.

Does this mean that canon will sell the camera bodys to sellers at much reduced prices based on the fact they have virtually no warranty and they need not worry about them becoming defective?

not sure if i like this idea, im sure lots of people probably dont realise they have virtually no warranty when the pay for the item.

Jul 21, 2010
Jarveye said:
I found a 60D body on ebay for a suspicously cheap price, i investigated and could not find the catch

You can probably stop there. Suspiciously cheap = there's always a catch. Maybe just this warranty thing (which sounds really odd). Maybe it won't really be new in box. Maybe you'll pay and never get the item at all, because it was seized by police as stolen goods. All kinds of scenarios that boil down to 'if it sounds too good to be true, it is...'

Upvote 0
If you get the camera get a Warranty for 2 years through SquareTrade at SquareTrade.com. Sign up for their emailer first, they send out 30% off warranty prices at least once a month.

I have used square trade and have had to file claims a couple of times. They were magnificent to deal with. In my case it was a PS3. The warranty was much cheaper than getting a Best Buy one (or something similar). They also had a very fast turn around. The nice thing is that if they can't get it fixed, they give you cash for the amount you purchased the item for (or for the same item at current market value, whichever is less. Such was the case with my old 20GB PS3 that I got refurbed on ebay. Prices had dropped when I had to do a claim, and I was able to get a brand new PS3 slim with 6 times the hard drive space for no extra cost.

If the camera doesn't function it looks like you will be able to return it to the seller. PayPal is very good at handling claims also and will help you if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong after 3 months, you can go through Square Trade.

Upvote 0
M

MysteryMonkey

I'm Mystery Monkey!

Its my very first post here EVER!. . Long time reader, love you guys! <3

Enywaaays.

It smells like a "factory second" to me.
Ie, a customer buys it cos it has something minor wrong with it. Canon then fixes it and then sells the item at a ridiculously low price to a VIP. Generally these VIP's are not meant to onsell these items because its for the VIP's use only.

The seller must be close to a VIP to have the item. They shouldn't be selling it.
As for the item itself, it should be good as new.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.