Samantha

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not real sure about all the rules of photography. Generally, I believe photos are composed and cropped for a particular frame or mat size. This photo is almost square, but it works for me. Sometimes things just look better outside of the norm.

Attachments

• Samantha jpeg.jpg
    Samantha jpeg.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: 6 users
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not real sure about all the rules of photography. Generally, I believe photos are composed and cropped for a particular frame or mat size. This photo is almost square, but it works for me. Sometimes things just look better outside of the norm.
Personally I'd take it to the 1:1 ratio which has a very long and rich artistic history. Yes 'rules' are meant to be broken, but it needs to be done with purpose when it makes the image stronger. If you crop 1:1 you still have the window (?) frame so you maintain the motivating source and you have a very strong triangle of face flowers and bright window frame. The only other thing I'd do is lower the level of the bright strip through the middle top as it unbalances the composition and detracts from the subject.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Personally I'd take it to the 1:1 ratio which has a very long and rich artistic history. Yes 'rules' are meant to be broken, but it needs to be done with purpose when it makes the image stronger. If you crop 1:1 you still have the window (?) frame so you maintain the motivating source and you have a very strong triangle of face flowers and bright window frame. The only other thing I'd do is lower the level of the bright strip through the middle top as it unbalances the composition and detracts from the subject.
Thanks!!!

Upvote 0