Samyang introduces the MF 14mm F2.8 MK2 and MF 85mm f/1.4 MK2

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Samyang has announced two updated manual focus lenses, the MF 14mm f/2.8 MK2 and the MF 85mm f/1.4 MK2, both of their predecessors were well-reviewed for their great value.
Samyang has added a big new feature called “de-click” for filmmakers, it allows you to remove the clicking sensation from the aperture ring.
Both lenses are also now weather-sealed and have an upgraded focus ring.

Samyang MF 14mm f/2.8 MK2
Introducing the MF 14mm F2.8 MK2, the next-generation lens that inherits the famous wide-angle lens Samyang Optics 14mm. While maintaining the conventional imaging quality that is loved by customers around the world, we have added various functions. The’Focus Lock ‘function and the’De-click’ function allows the aperture ring to be connected smoothly when recording a movie. In addition, by adopting weather sealing, you can shoot impressive scenery even in bad weather. The wide-angle of 115.7 ° makes it suitable for shooting vast landscapes and astronomical photographs...

Continue reading...

Jan 29, 2011
My Samyang 14mm Mk1 is just terrible optically. It's true there are times when the issues don't show or matter, but then there are the other times!
After crying about the results I bought the Canon 14mm, which I should have just bought initially.

As they say: 'buy once, cry once' (at the price, but then never again).
I used two copies of the Canon 14mm MkII and was extremely disappointed in both, I actually got better results from the old 15mm fisheye and defishing it with a little utility called Fisheye-Hemi.

Nowadays I use the 11-24 which blows the 14mm prime out of the water when compared at 14mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PFloyd

EOS 80D
Aug 20, 2019
So they only mention weather-sealing and an updated aperture ring . . . no mention of optics changes, other than "maintaining the conventional imaging quality that is loved by customers around the world". If those are the only significant (if you can call it that) differences, I'll be buying the MK1 as soon as the price inevitably drops. I was about to buy the MK1 this week anyway, but now I'll probably just wait a few weeks and get a better deal.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I used two copies of the Canon 14mm MkII and was extremely disappointed in both, I actually got better results from the old 15mm fisheye and defishing it with a little utility called Fisheye-Hemi.

Nowadays I use the 11-24 which blows the 14mm prime out of the water when compared at 14mm.

I'm a bit surprised.
My EF 14 II is sharp, contrasty, even in the corners. I really love it ! As to the 11-24, I have no opinion, since i've never used it. But its weight is certainly a drawback for longer hikes...

Upvote 0