Samyang Officially Announces the AF 85mm f/1.4 EF

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Samyang has <a href="https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/samyang-af-85mm-f14-ef-new-wide-aperture-lens-arrives-with-a-tempting-price-tag">officially announced</a> the AF 85mm f/1.4 EF, their second autofocus lens for Canon’s EF mount.</p>
<p>This new 85mm offering for Canon’s EF mount offers a very compact size at only 72mm in length (without hood) and weighing in a rather light 485g. By comparison, Canon’s <a href="https://www.adorama.com/ca8514l.html?kbid=64393">EF 85mm f/1.4L IS</a> weighs in at 950g and <a href="https://www.adorama.com/sg8514aca.html?kbid=64393">Sigma’s 85mm f/1.4 Art</a> at an very heavy 1130g.</p>
<p>The lens construction is nine-elements with seven groups. The AF 85 f/1.4 EF employs hybrid aspherical glass and something called “Ultra Multi Coatings”.</p>
<p>Pricing for the new Samyang AF 85 f/1.4 EF is £599.99 in the UK, pricing for elsewhere in the world has not been released at the time of publishing this.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

slclick

Logan Mat Cutters at 20 paces!
Dec 17, 2013
If Bryan C gives it good marks this is the one. The Tammy just isn't 'enough' for me. What does that mean? I'd rather have 1.4 and better AF accuracy. Plus, it's a bit spendy. I really could care less about stabilization at this focal length, I still can steady a camera LIKE THEY DID FOR OVER A HUNDRED YEARS.

Really surprised how everyone is wowed by this. I guess the sizing is nice but I love my Sigma 85. I bought it for $1050 and would absolutely pay the difference between this and that if for no other reason that trying to get the thing repaired if it breaks is extremely difficult.

slclick

Logan Mat Cutters at 20 paces!
Dec 17, 2013
brianleighty said:
Really surprised how everyone is wowed by this. I guess the sizing is nice but I love my Sigma 85. I bought it for $1050 and would absolutely pay the difference between this and that if for no other reason that trying to get the thing repaired if it breaks is extremely difficult.
I get where you are coming from but one thing for me is Sigma's color and contrast don't do it for me. I like the sharpness, but it ends there.

Refurb7

EOS RP
Feb 13, 2016
Etienne said:
The low weight is hugely welcome, but the lack of IS might push me to Tamron.
I have the Tamron and it is really good and the stabilization is useful, but it is surprisingly large and heavy for a 1.8 lens.

Hector1970

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 22, 2012
I have the Canon 1.2 II so I don't have a need for this but I'd say its likely to be very good value for money.
I've a few Samyang Lens and there are all good and well built.
IS is very useful but I think it makes for lazy photographers. If you concentrate on your technique of keeping the camera/lens steady you are slowing down and taking better photographs.
I must say its a nice weight. The 1.2 II is just that bit too heavy.

YuengLinger

EOR R
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
Hector1970 said:
I have the Canon 1.2 II so I don't have a need for this but I'd say its likely to be very good value for money.
I've a few Samyang Lens and there are all good and well built.
IS is very useful but I think it makes for lazy photographers. If you concentrate on your technique of keeping the camera/lens steady you are slowing down and taking better photographs.
I must say its a nice weight. The 1.2 II is just that bit too heavy.
Hector, please remember shaky hands are greatly benefited by IS, as is video.

Also, IS helps keep ISO a bit lower in some situations, enough to improve IQ.