Samyang to announce a 14mm f/2.8 RF and 85mm f/1.4 RF soon

Feb 14, 2014
Shouldn't they be able to fake as if the lens is connected via an adapter, and use their existing EF implementation?
That makes no sense. You may as well just use their EF lenses with an adapter in that case. The main point I was making is that reverse engineering will never be as good as native autofocus. Also no guarantee of future camera compatibility.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
That makes no sense. You may as well just use their EF lenses with an adapter in that case.

That forces the designer to use EF flange distance, and the users to use the adapter, which some people don't like.

The main point I was making is that reverse engineering will never be as good as native autofocus. Also no guarantee of future camera compatibility.

True.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
Uri was totally right. You completely miss the point.

Using their EF lenses on an adapter doesn't allow them to take advantage of the far better film-flange distance to make a far sharper/compact/cheaper lens.

Uri's only talking about the protocol of communication.

And as I've been doing computer protocols for 30 years, I totally agree with his point that if a lens maker can't reproduce the RF protocol at first, they could reproduce the well-known EF protocol as translated by the adapter. (The only thing I'd add is that I'm sure the RF protocol should be easy enough to use.)

I'll elaborate on that.

If they use an adapter, the lens is EF forever. If they use RF mechanically & electronically, they can pretend to be EF mounted via an adapter in the first version, then upgrade the firmware later on with RF protocol later on.

This might require to make better hardware (stronger AF engine, spare processing abilities, etc), but AF now + possibility of upgrade makes for a much more attractive lens than 'MF now, AF never' or 'EF w/ adapter forever'.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Meanwhile I was able to finish my review on the 85mm f1.4...

After first mixed feelings: I am pretty excited about the lens. In terms of the results you get from this lens: it is just wow!!! Very decent images, excellent image quality - if you know how to use the lens.

For whom is this lens for?

It is made for owners of the R-Mount cameras - but the EF version will show similar results.
When to take the RF Mount version instead of the EF mount? This is a very good question. For my taste: if you have decided to got with the R-Mount and/or you do discontinue with EF Mount: go for it. It is lighter and easier to handle.
It is more a lens for enthusiasts, for people who like to shoot manual focus
But manual focus is so much fun to use on the Canon mirrorless cameras....
But the lens has a bit of weaknesses too:

It is not native RF: I guess a lens designed for the 54mm bajonett diameter and the short flange distance can be even smaller and lighter
It is not weather sealed
I miss an EXIF chip - this would be even better
And the 1.1m minimum focal distance is a sad thin: I would prefer it mach shorter, even shorter than the usual 85 mm...
I give the lens a highly recommended!!!

For more information please look at my review here https://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/blog/2019/3/samyang-s-new-lenses-for-rf-mount-the-mf-85mm-f1-4

Upvote 0