Samyang XP 50mm f/1.2 lens review

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Not sealed. No AF. Not truly internally focusing -- the front element does stay behind the filter ring at all times, but it does move front to back (like the 50L). It certainly is a path of ingress without a filter in place.

For the f/1.2 obsessed, why not get the 50L? On refurb, it's $950ish and you get sealing, AF and a much more compact design.

For the sharpness obsessed, surely get the Sigma 50 Art. Flaky AF still crushes no AF for general use.

Glad to see Samyang making moves, though.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Not sealed. No AF. Not truly internally focusing -- the front element does stay behind the filter ring at all times, but it does move front to back (like the 50L). It certainly is a path of ingress without a filter in place.

For the f/1.2 obsessed, why not get the 50L? On refurb, it's $950ish and you get sealing, AF and a much more compact design.

For the sharpness obsessed, surely get the Sigma 50 Art. Flaky AF still crushes no AF for general use.

Glad to see Samyang making moves, though.

- A

Thank you, I do appreciate your advice! But I am interested in astro, landscapes and wildflowers for this lens. I do wish that it was sealed and find it strange that it is not.

I can't argue about the comparative compactness of the 50L, but the reviews I've read indicate that it is soft wide open. That won't work for astro.

Surely Canon will soon deliver a 50mm with really good AF and that will be my second 50mm.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
chrysoberyl said:
I can't argue about the comparative compactness of the 50L, but the reviews I've read indicate that it is soft wide open. That won't work for astro.

Surely Canon will soon deliver a 50mm with really good AF and that will be my second 50mm.

Oh wow, yeah, the 50L is not a choice for astro.

- A

Upvote 0
I like this pickle jar; it's so big I think it has it's own gravity. It will be hard to misplace.

But seriously, this thing is almost as sharp wide open as my Milvus 100 wide open. I hope I get some clear air soon for astro. And focusing is a delight; a well-damped focus ring and a reasonable amount of throw.

Upvote 0