San Francisco Long Exposure Cityscapes!

dilbert said:
Anyone could have taken those photographs as there is nothing special about them.

Ah everything aside, that is gonna put some minds and keyboards into hyper activity... :)

And oh yes, is this forum really a place for posting "special" photographs, or is it to post "non-special" photos for getting helps, critics, and discussions going so that we can learn to ultimately take that "special" photographs?

(ah, my keyboard is in hyperactivity zone now)

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Anyone could have taken those photographs as there is nothing special about them.

Envious? or just not got any in a while?

This is a place for constructive criticism which helps to develop the skills not only of the person brave enough to stick their photos above the parapet but for all those who follow the thread.
Now go and drink a camomile tea and dont turn your computer back on until you've learned some manners.

Personally I like the photos. As you say in the comments of the first shot a little more water reflection might have been nice but I like the overall tones and the stars add something extra for me too.
The second shot is awesome in terms of the reflections but I feel there's something ever so slightly awkward about the crop. I cant quite put my finger on it.
I like the third one too. how long was the exposure. Might a longer exposure and a slightly more under exposed shot have given more reflection of the bridge itself in the water?

Thanks for posting ignore the morons

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Jura said:
dilbert said:

<Snip!>

The second shot is awesome in terms of the reflections but I feel there's something ever so slightly awkward about the crop. I cant quite put my finger on it.
I like the second one because it makes the bridge look very dainty and elegant. I think it is the contrast of light and darkness that attracts me to the picture. Do you feel about the crop because it breaks the rule of thirds? I like it because it breaks that rule. I think the other thing is that a catenary is indeed a thing of beauty and this picture highlights that.

Jura said:
Thanks for posting ignore the morons
+10,000

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2012
minim2 said:
dilbert said:

I just looked up your profile for more inspirational photos and found this one

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5334.msg103060#msg103060

I guess difficult for anyone to take this?

Personally, I liked your photographs of SF - thank you for posting them.

Do you have any pictures of penguins, so we can make a fairer comparison to dilbert's work?

Upvote 0
rpt said:
Jura said:
I like the second one because it makes the bridge look very dainty and elegant. I think it is the contrast of light and darkness that attracts me to the picture. Do you feel about the crop because it breaks the rule of thirds? I like it because it breaks that rule. I think the other thing is that a catenary is indeed a thing of beauty and this picture highlights that.

Looking again I think it might be that there's too much sky above the bridge for my taste and that has the effect of reducing the impact of the bridge and reflection... Perhaps its the small size of the picture. It might look awesome as a 40 inch print....

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
lholmes549 said:
dilbert said:

Really constructive criticism(!)

If you want to make your photos stand out, there needs to be something special about them, be it style, composition, post, etc.

I suppose dawn/dusk/night photos that are long exposure is a phase that photographers go through.

So my advice is go take a bunch more long exposure night time photos and get it out of your system.

Perhaps true, but then civility is a phase most adult humans eventually grow into. Stay on the path, and eventually you get there.

Upvote 0
minim2 said:
dilbert said:

I just looked up your profile for more inspirational photos and found this one

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5334.msg103060#msg103060

I guess difficult for anyone to take this?

Wow, that is a penguin? It took me some time to understand, modernistic rendition of a penguin. Probably taking lots of penguin photos in low light will let that get out of the system too.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I think dilbert is close to saying the right thing, but saying it in the wrong way.

These are technically accomplished, but creatively sparse, you've nailed the magic hour technique, but with such an iconic landmark you really need a new angle to stand out. We've seen these before & we'll see them again.

I live on the west coast of Scotland and I am spoiled by some of the most beautiful coastal and mountain scenery in the world, and most of it fairly accessable. Which means that you'll have seen most of the landmarks, in HDR with ND110's at dusk, at dawn, with snow, etc time and time again.

There's nothing worse than seeing 1000x Colin Prior or Joe Cornish clones. Colin & Joe are masters. I'm not at their level, and neither are the dullards in scottish camera clubs who would be as well as working a photocopier than working a camera. I'll never attempt Black Rock for this reason. Folk have done it before, folk have done it better, folk more creative than me, or more willing to get the ropes out will get better angles than me.

Please don't be disheartened. They are nice images, striking colours, decent composition, capbale depth of field control, they display the ingredients you'll need to create striking brilliant images that folk will want to come back to again and again, just I don't think you've done that here.

You could submit these to a library and they would probably sell pretty well, if thats any consolation.

I sincerely look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future, I and hope you take my comments in the spirit intended.

To those dilbert bashing, the place for sychophancy is flickr

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
I personally like your style of portraits as seen on your Flickr pages. As we both live in the SF Bay Area I know these places well and sometimes its just not that easy to get there and be there at the right moment. But still, well done.

Like all else mentioned, ignore the penguin.

Keep posting your work. Maybe you should go to SF Zoo and share your image of what a real penguin through your lens might look like. HA!

Upvote 0