Saving images to CF card in 5DsR

Nov 3, 2012
In the menu, tab 4 (set up) allows you to specify the saving of images to one or both cards. When taking critical photos I save a backup image to the SD card in addition to the CF card. However, for non-critical photos I select "standard" and save just to the CF card (to save having to clear the SD card). However, custom functions do not appear to allow you to fix the saving to the CF card. Sometimes, and I haven't figured out why this happening, the camera is saving to the SD card, rather than the CF card. So I end up with some images on the CF card and others on the SD card. This can be pain viewing images in camera and means that files need to be uploaded from two cards.
Have I missed something? Is there a simple work-around (other than taking the SD card out - its a handy backup)?
Thanks

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
At yellow/setup menu tab1 select card 1 (It's the CF card) in Record/Play field.

NOW: If you remove it for some reason (for example to put it in a card reader to copy photos) and then reinsert it you have to check this number again (camera will not be able to use card 1 so it will use card 2 and I have seen this number not being set back to 1 afterwards).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tron, Frodo.
The trick is not to close the card door (or take the battery out for charging) then this setting doesn’t get reset, at least these are what I have found works on my cameras. The second you close the card door with a battery in the camera (even with the camera off) the camera reads the cards and changes the default. I usually see a message something like “separate recording not available with no card in slot 1”

Cheers, Graham.

tron said:
At yellow/setup menu tab1 select card 1 (It's the CF card) in Record/Play field.

NOW: If you remove it for some reason (for example to put it in a card reader to copy photos) and then reinsert it you have to check this number again (camera will not be able to use card 1 so it will use card 2 and I have seen this number not being set back to 1 afterwards).

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
tron said:

Hi Tron
Yes, this is exactly my problem. I set the camera to record/play to the CF card, but it doesn't"stick" in the custom function.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Tron, Frodo.
The trick is not to close the card door (or take the battery out for charging) then this setting doesn’t get reset, at least these are what I have found works on my cameras. The second you close the card door with a battery in the camera (even with the camera off) the camera reads the cards and changes the default. I usually see a message something like “separate recording not available with no card in slot 1”

Cheers, Graham.

This is probably the solution. If I remove the CF card and leave the door open or camera off, the cards don't swap.
Thanks

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi Tron, Frodo.

Cheers, Graham.

tron said:

Nice trick! Thanks! Although I am more or less used to it and set it back I do remember missing it a few times.

Upvote 0