Scratched Sensor

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Hi,
my weekend was slightly ruined on Saturday. Canon does free Cleaning and Checking at a local Wildlife Photo Annual Meeting, and as usual I handed in my 5D MK3 to be cleaned. When I got it back I was told it had not been cleaned as the sensor is scratched. Putting fluid on it could make the damage worse. Apparently its a straight line across parallel to the top edge of the sensor. When asked how that could happen the tech thought some dirt may have been on the curtain.
I have never cleaned the sensor myself, only Canon has been near it. Does the explanation sound plausible?

I guess the Camera will go to Canon to let them have a look at it.

Up till now I can't see a problem in my pictures thought.

Cheers Brian

Scratches on the image sensor are more noticeable when shooting in aperture F16 or F22.

To produce a parallel risk to the upper edge, it would have to be something moving sideways, and I do not think the curtain makes such a move. Although the extremely fast speed prevents me to determine the exact direction in which the curtain moves.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ajfotofilmagem said:
To produce a parallel risk to the upper edge, it would have to be something moving sideways, and I do not think the curtain makes such a move. Although the extremely fast speed prevents me to determine the exact direction in which the curtain moves.

It moves 'down' the sensor, and you are correct that 'dirt on the shutter' would not likely produce a scratch parallel to the top edge of the sensor.

maxresdefault.jpg

@bjd try the suggesting of taking a shot at the narrowest aperture possible (shoot a flat, evenly lit, defocused subject like a bright white wall). You can also examine the sensor directly by initiating a manual clean then removing the lens and viewing with a flashlight and magnifying glass (or a loupe if you have one).

Upvote 0
bjd said:
Hi,
my weekend was slightly ruined on Saturday. Canon does free Cleaning and Checking at a local Wildlife Photo Annual Meeting, and as usual I handed in my 5D MK3 to be cleaned. When I got it back I was told it had not been cleaned as the sensor is scratched. Putting fluid on it could make the damage worse. Apparently its a straight line across parallel to the top edge of the sensor. When asked how that could happen the tech thought some dirt may have been on the curtain.
I have never cleaned the sensor myself, only Canon has been near it. Does the explanation sound plausible?

I guess the Camera will go to Canon to let them have a look at it.

Up till now I can't see a problem in my pictures thought.

Cheers Brian

Was he sure it was a scratch and not a crack? Could be the low pass filter is cracked. So this will play out in one of three ways. Either you will pay to have the sensor replaced, live with it and use the dust delete feature to minimize impact to your image, or you can send it off to have the low pass filter removed thus extending the life of the camera a bit more with an added "benefit" of not having an anti aliasing filter anymore. Once the filter is removed, you may not want to have the sensor cleaned again as i dont believe there is much more to protect the micro lenses. I could be wrong and might be model dependent.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
bjd said:
..Does the explanation sound plausible?

nope, shutter moves vertically, described scratch would have to be made by horizontal motion unless described incorrectly.

Can you see the scratch if you look at it in cleaning mode?

It's typically not that hard to replace the scratched filter assembly, it's not an actual damaged sensor, just the filter stack in front of it. Lots of shops do it, it may cost 2 to 3 hundred $usd

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
So this is one of a few narrow aperture shots I took, all look the same. A dusk speck in the lower middle
and what looks like a scratch about half-way between the dust speck and the top left corner.

Also there are about 5-6 very small darkish specks, are they dead cells on the sensor, I assume
they are too small to be dirt on the sensor.

Cheers Brian

Attachments

• _5D00195.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
That doesn't look like what I'd expect for a typical scratch either. Might be a tiny metal shard stuck to the sensor? I've found some of those inside a few lenses over the years, often tiny flakes of solder from internal electronics.

If you can't blow it off or wet-clean it off then you can decide whether it's enough of an issue to deal with replacing the filter stack.
I.E. What aperture does it start to show up with your longer lenses?
And... you can use a software fix for that in PP but yes, it's an annoyance if it's showing up at larger apertures.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Any chance the Canon rep was cleaning so many cameras that yours got mixed up with somebody who actually did have a scratch?

If I had a cracked filter, I'd be concerned about stuff getting in under that crack over time, but a scratch that doesn't show up in any real life photos wouldn't be worth a trip to CPS if nothing else were wrong. Just me.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Any chance the Canon rep was cleaning so many cameras that yours got mixed up with somebody who actually did have a scratch?

If I had a cracked filter, I'd be concerned about stuff getting in under that crack over time, but a scratch that doesn't show up in any real life photos wouldn't be worth a trip to CPS if nothing else were wrong. Just me.

Hi, I went to another event today and just gave it in for cleaning. When I got it back "Scratch on the sensor" was noted. The tech last week had refused to clean the sensor as he feared putting liquid on it could make the problem worse. So, if I do nothing, then I cannot have the sensor wet cleaned. Whether it is a scratch or crack, they could not say.

I'll do some more tests with different lenses tomorrow and compare the results. I think I may try to get an appointment at CPS (about 60 miles away) and take it to them and ask for their opinion what is broke, how it could have happened, and concerning whether it could get worse with time.

I guess I can always get it done if the scratch starts to become visible. Hey, maybe a newer sensor will be better than this >3 year old one........

Attached is a pic showing the approx location of the scratch.

Cheers Brian,

and thanks for all the competent opinions and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Attachments

• _5D00195-2.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0