Security device for the bottom of your camera bag?

I've got a crazy idea and I think I'll do it in the next few weeks. In the USA, AT&T has this little Amber Alert device, and there are dog GPS tracking devices. If I were to leave a bag somewhere, I'm tempted to say having one of these in it would be a gear saver in the event it decided it liked someone else more than me. Thoughts? I mean, I'm a backpack camera bag user, but if I were more shoulder or wheel based bag user, the number of times you set a bag down is just downright scary.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/simcom/amber-alert-gps-black.html
http://www.pettracker.com

The killer app is one where it constantly tracks the GPS on my phone and the one in the bag, and alerts me when we get too far apart. Is it perfect, no, but with the horror stories of gear stolen, I wonder what the market is like.

What I would love to find is some (Bluetooth?) device that can be attached to my gear bag and will scream-out with a loud alarm if my bag "tries to walk away" while I'm nearby but distracted while taking pictures... I've seen some solutions that will set off an audible alarm on the iPhone that's in your pocket, but I want the person who's walking off with my stuff to have to drop the bag that is suddenly send-out a loud attention-getting alarm...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JustMeOregon said:
What I would love to find is some (Bluetooth?) device that can be attached to my gear bag and will scream-out with a loud alarm if my bag "tries to walk away" while I'm nearby but distracted while taking pictures... I've seen some solutions that will set off an audible alarm on the iPhone that's in your pocket, but I want the person who's walking off with my stuff to have to drop the bag that is suddenly send-out a loud attention-getting alarm...

Simple solution – put the tag in your pocket, and your iPhone in the bag. Of course, you have to have the volume all the way up, and then there's that pesky all your eggs in one basket problem, not to mention how would you call the cops after your bag was stolen, if the thief didn't drop it? ;)

Upvote 0
How about one of these:
image001.jpg

It would make me think twice!

Upvote 0