Sell our email or hacked?

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
no problems either, then again maybe they checked my bank account and realised no point in sending me spam ;D

TTM you may only use that email address for CR but the info is on your machine/ email address books so you may want to look in that direction too. I don't know what email account you used but if it is Hotmail or Yahoo etc. you may as well consider that as public domain!

Upvote 0
Um, some spam is sent by robotic randomizers, so no need for either to occur. (Basically a robot punches in randomness as a destination until something works.) Also, unless your address is a gmail one, it is quite possible someone else owned that address before you, so anything is possible. (Gmail addresses are reserved permanently and never reused after one deletes the account, whereas that is the exception. I have (had) a hotmail address that was filled with spam the second I opened the account. It was a common sequence of words and had apparently been owned before.)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
zim said:
no problems either, then again maybe they checked my bank account and realised no point in sending me spam ;D

TTM you may only use that email address for CR but the info is on your machine/ email address books so you may want to look in that direction too. I don't know what email account you used but if it is Hotmail or Yahoo etc. you may as well consider that as public domain!
What? Not been offered loan?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
AlanF said:
zim said:

What? Not been offered loan?

beyond even that :'(
still get box offers for discount wine though so all's good with the world :p ;D

Upvote 0
Just like to add that the robot-theory (someone guessing my sign up email) can't be true either, as the spammer faked the sender name to canonrumorsnewsletter gmail.com
So spanner knows what randon adress on my domain was linked to the mailing list, which kind of rules out guessing and also rules out a targeted attack harvesting this data from my computer (as this relation is not stored on any computer)

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
intuition said:
I too have had spam sent to me, originating from the canonrumours mailing list.
I know this with 100% certainty since I used a unique adress to sign up for the list.

Hugely disappointed of course, but I will drop that mail account in an instant and never again sign up.

Sorry to disappoint you, but CR does not send spam, or even send e-mail, if you signed up for the newsletter, you might get that.

You received a e-mail with a faked from address, so you know for a fact it came from CR?

And ... other members do not get them?

Its interesting that the OP uses a virtually identical email address to yours, his is extremely easy to guess.

Use something random, or not easy to guess. a email like CR or CanonRumors, for example only requires your domain.

If CR was hacked, we would get a flood of people complaining in minutes, we have many tens of thousands of members. #377624 is the latest, we started with number 1.

If you have a facebook account and follow canon rumors, hacked facebook accounts are as common as dirt. I would recommend that you change all of your passwords, if someone got your CR email, they may have other information or passwords. I cannot see your password, Its pretty securely locked up, but nothing is totally secure.

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
One other thing to check on. Go to your profile, account settings, and make sure that the allow users to e-mail me is not checked.

I got the same "Datacolor || Canon Rumors" spam as another user in here.

My "Allow users to email me"-option is not checked.

Spam originated from [email protected] with return path of [email protected] - image linked to http://canonrumorsltd.cmail20.com/t/i-l-hijtck-dhqydlkj-y/

Btw... email clients should not be allowed to show images from unknown senders. Spammers use this to verify that the email address is valid (and so you get more spam).

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
I received the same offer a few days ago. My e-mail address for Canon Rumors is the same one I use for my consulting business (which includes a little photography).

First time it's ever happened, to my recollection, so I just deleted it. If it happens again, I'll just add the sender's address to my spam filter. (I've already purged my deleted mail folder, so I can't go back to see if it was sent from a randomized address.)

Upvote 0