Service Life Expired - EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
I just found out the hard way that the original EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens is officially out of service life as far as Canon Service is concerned.

My lens had a severe impact on a gig last week. I sent it in to CPS for a repair quote, and they told me they won't fix it since the service life has expired.

The damage appears to be to the lens mount only, but internal damage could have occurred as well.

Do any third party repair shop exists for Canon lenses? If so, are there any recommended shops I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• lenscps.JPG
    lenscps.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 169
Mar 25, 2011
Yes, there are third party shops. However, Canon stops repairing lenses when they run out of parts. That means that the parts needed might not be available.

Are you in the US? Canada? some other part of the world?

Midwest Camera is a authorized Canon repair facility, there are others like T F Camera Repair in New Jersey, Toshio has a large group of happy customers.

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Yes, there are third party shops. However, Canon stops repairing lenses when they run out of parts. That means that the parts needed might not be available.

Are you in the US? Canada? some other part of the world?

Midwest Camera is a authorized Canon repair facility, there are others like T F Camera Repair in New Jersey, Toshio has a large group of happy customers.

Thank you!

Calling Midwest Camera as I type this!!

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Just spoke to Debbie at Midwest Camera, and she said that while she is aware that Canon is no longer servicing the 70-200mm v1, she knows they've been receiving the 70-200 for service and that they've been able to complete any repairs needed.

She thinks they would have the parts I need for a focus calibration and mounting ring repair as a result of impact, and quoted me $295 for the whole shebang. If they end up not having the parts, they'll just return it to me.

Worst case I'm out shipping, best case I, have a backup 70-200 on my shelf for $295!

I'm going to give them a try.

Thanks again, @Mt. Spokane!!!

Upvote 0
Another major, well respected repair place is CRIS Camera Repair in the Phoenix area. In fact they are an official service center for Sigma (I know your lens is Canon, I just throw that in because it speaks of their credibility).

I have the older non-IS version of the 70-200 which still works great. Ironically even though it is older than your IS I think it is still being made so will have a longer service life? Kind of weird how that works. Also frustrating that Canon stops servicing pro L lenses after a time. To me, I expect a lens like that to serve me for life.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
It’s like automobiles. At some point OEM parts are no longer available. Sometimes, the junkyard is the only place parts can be found. Unfortunately, I don’t know of a lens junk yard? Maybe there are some junk lenses in large repair shops.
I’ve had a couple of L lenses that went belly up that I sold for parts on eBay.

Upvote 0