Setting shutter speed for video to capture lots of motion?

as long as you arent freezing frames 1/24 would probably be fine bc Ive never had an issue with 1/30...if 1/24 is an option. If you arent in terribly low light you can turn the shutter speed up as high as you like as long as you are happy with the ISO. You should be fine at ISO 6400 or lower. Especially if you are recording to a ninja. Since you will be having to manually focus the camera you might wanna give yourself some room for error and up the Fstop to like 5.6 or 7.1

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
kat.hayes said:
Does this same guideline apply if I am shooting video of a running dog or of kids running?

Yes. There are less degrees of freedom in setting shutter speeds in video than in still photography, because it changes how the video "looks".

The usual shutter speed (double the frame rate, equivalent of a 180° "shutter angle") will give you the classic "cinematic style" used by movies. Other speeds will give different "looks", that may be good or bad depending on the scene and what "meaning" you want to convey.

See for example:

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/shutter-angle-tutorial

But you can find easily many others.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
kat.hayes said:
To achieve focus when shooting video. I plan to use AI Servo and Back Button Focussing. With these two settings enabled, can I focus on a moving subject once, such as, kids running and playing, a dog running, etc. and just follow them with the camera while maintaining focus? OR do I need to refocus often?

Unluckily the 5D3 doesn't autofocus continuously (see, for example, page 228 and 243 of the English manual). You'll need to keep subjects in focus yourself, either manually or with the AF button. How often you need to refocus depends on depth of field, movement direction, etc.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
LDS said:
kat.hayes said:
To achieve focus when shooting video. I plan to use AI Servo and Back Button Focussing. With these two settings enabled, can I focus on a moving subject once, such as, kids running and playing, a dog running, etc. and just follow them with the camera while maintaining focus? OR do I need to refocus often?

Unluckily the 5D3 doesn't autofocus continuously (see, for example, page 228 and 243 of the English manual). You'll need to keep subjects in focus yourself, either manually or with the AF button. How often you need to refocus depends on depth of field, movement direction, etc.

And if you are going to use the camera to focus, make sure you're using an external mic. In my experience, no matter how silent I think the lens is, USM, STM, the camera's internal mic always pics it up. Even a cheap mic mounted in the flash hot shoe does wonders.

Upvote 0