Sharpening needed for printing on metal?

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all,
I know you generally need to sharpen extra at the end if printing on paper/canvas. Do you also need to do so when sending off to have a metal print?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

YuengLinger

EOR R
Dec 20, 2012
Southeastern USA
According to a couple of CR members, if you use a camera body with IBIS, your photos will have an "etched" look to them. This sounds like a huge(!) benefit when printing on metal, and worthy of further investigation. :po_O:p

Happy holidays, all!

Reactions: jd7

ethanz

1DX II
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
The printer that I use with my website is Bay Photo. I've been pretty pleased with them. They are a little more expensive than others.

LDS

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 14, 2012
Do you also need to do so when sending off to have a metal print?
Depends on the printing service - if they sharpen themselves or not - and if they do, what kind of sharpening they apply.

Output sharpening can be quite automated, as it mostly depends on the printing technology and support used.

Does CostCo give any advice?

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
Depends on the printing service - if they sharpen themselves or not - and if they do, what kind of sharpening they apply.

Output sharpening can be quite automated, as it mostly depends on the printing technology and support used.

Does CostCo give any advice?
I looked through their site and they didn't say.
I emailed them and asked about profiles...they said for metal just use sRGB.

I forgot to ask about sharpening, etc...grrr.

OH well, had to order to get by Xmas. I'm sure Mom and Dad will like what they get!!
:)

Thank you all!!

cayenne