Shoot 1/8000, Just do it. (occasionally)

Re: Shoot 1/8000, Just do it.

Boromir883 said:
NancyP said:
"planes without rotating propellers don't fly"
Do birds with "frozen" wings fly? The convention is to stop action on birds in flight, with the exception being hummingbirds. Hummer wings aren't stopped by 1/8000 sec - multi-unit speedlights will do the trick though.

i agree with sailing birds or gliders
a racing car, passing by with 200mph stopped with 1/8000 looks like parking on the sideway -
in my opinion, in most motor/action sports photos stopped 1/8000 are static, motion blur suggests dynamic movement

Really nice photos, Boromir!

Upvote 0
The way I see it:

If you are pro, shoot the images that your clients will buy, but which aren't necessarily the images you'd shoot with a free reign.

If you are an amateur, shoot the images you love and with a free reign, just don't delude yourself that you could do the pro's job.

I rattle a few 1/8000th's out every now and then, just to give the shutter a wee exercise, I do use some f2.0's and f1.4's so, sometimes, even in Scotland.. you do need that speed.

A camera, I will now never own, the Dynax 9, had many cool things going for it, a virtually indestructible exo-skeleton type chassis, a 1/12000th top shutter (and a 1/300th flash synch) sony do interesting things, but Minolta were always a bit loopy, but always made lovely cameras to actually use.

Upvote 0

ScottyP said:
Boromir883 said:
NancyP said:
Do birds with "frozen" wings fly? The convention is to stop action on birds in flight, with the exception being hummingbirds. Hummer wings aren't stopped by 1/8000 sec - multi-unit speedlights will do the trick though.

a racing car, passing by with 200mph stopped with 1/8000 looks like parking on the sideway -
in my opinion, in most motor/action sports photos stopped 1/8000 are static, motion blur suggests dynamic movement

Boromir,
They are really nice photos. I would have put them in this Gallery: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=24741.0 , but I am weird that way. As for the question why?, because why not, the results are different and look cool because they are different. One Black and white Photo in a group of color photos stands out. That does not mean color photos are bad.

Anyway

Untitled
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Horses
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Bike4
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Upvote 0

TexPhoto said:
ScottyP said:
Boromir883 said:
NancyP said:

Boromir,
They are really nice photos. I would have put them in this Gallery: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=24741.0 , but I am weird that way. As for the question why?, because why not, the results are different and look cool because they are different. One Black and white Photo in a group of color photos stands out. That does not mean color photos are bad.

Anyway

Untitled
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled
by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

I agree with you,
I did not want to attack you, my postings are, how i see it, how i think about it
as i learn so much from experienced photographers in this forum, i wanted to bring in an other point of view about which kind of photo/motive i would stop down and which not
so maybe I misunderstood your intention for this post

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
We all have our individual preferences.
I like the feel of speed in a photo and I get a lot of one star shots to prove it.
One thing I do is to shoot at a higher shutter speed first- that ensures me of a good crisp shot. From there, I lower the shutter speed for the best motion blur. If I get enough opportunities to shoot the same subject, I'll go into the insanely slow speeds- 1/20th - 1/60 zone. These really slow ones are usually trash but occasionally I'll get something really interesting.
***There are times when I do freeze the action on motorcycles though.

Classic Harley Davidson and the Biker Babes by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Keith, thats the way i like motorcycles most ;)

Upvote 0