Shoot 2K, 3K & 4K on a T2i/550D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LukeS

First two releases will be free. Later releases will cost around 50 USD.
http://www.video-dslr.com/Canon-EOS-4k-Firmware-Hack/

This will piss some people off including canon. Canon chooses to look the other way on magic lantern and CHDK because they are free open source community projects. The creators of magic lantern and CHDK have said that if cannon wanted they could easily step up the security and make it much harder to hack. Charging users for hacked firmware could easily push canon over the edge and start implementing more security features in their firmware. Plus you will be charging for something that is based of a lot of other peoples free work. There is no doubt that this is based off the work of CHDK and magic lantern as a starting point.

Upvote 0
N

Neuron

This is clearly a fake. When he does the whole "oops! thing" he goes into image display mode where you can see 3 images (Edit: this part happens 1min 41 secs in).

Each image has the blue "selection" square on either 16k, 8k or 4k. So when's he claims that he's scrolling through the software he's only really just moving through the 3 images.

That's why he didn't scroll down or actually show himself recording anything.

Edit 2: I'm slightly confused about something. Is this guy a 2nd person to do this hack, because Earz62801 (the guy from youtube who started this whole thing) has a different looking software in his video. In any rate, wether the original video is legit or not, this one is, as the great lords of mythbusters say, BUSTED.

Upvote 0
I agree with buzzski and Neuron. It is quite obvious that he accidentally pushes the zoom out button and you can see three pictures, each with a different resolution selected; simulating a menu which he is scrolling through. In addition, 16k video is approximately 128 megapixels each frame if it is a 2:1 ratio (aprox. 16,000 x 8,000), and the T2i has a maximum resolution of 18 megapixels. It clear that this is a fake; and whoever made this is probably laughing his head off at home watching us debate.

Upvote 0
C

camlessphotography

[size=18pt]It is all FAKE!!!!![/size]

Read This

If it is true, why there isn't any sample video, or he demonstrate on camera recording,

these are are 3 different image files just place in camera memory card, with three different

selections hi lighted and just viewed on camera as image preview, and navigated from one to 2nd, 3rd

and same back.

just like below

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And finally

When he accidentally pressed zoom out button where small thumbnail is displayed

i've print screen from video he shows already different three "K" settings are selected

watch the video and check carefully by pausing it.

4.jpg

Thanks Canon rumors, allowing readers replies...

Regards
Sajjad

www.flickr.com/photos/sajjads

Upvote 0
I see what this guy did he screwed up at the end of the video he zoomed out of the fake photo into the 4 thumbnails mode. U can clearly see the fake at 1:41
There are at least 3 actual photos on the screen, each with a highlighted blue 16K, a second one with 8K and a third with 4K. The way he shows it is by pressing the next and previous buttons on the camera to trick you into thinking the selection is real.
Some people have way too much free time. Bozos.

Upvote 0
camlessphotography said:

Read This

Camlessphotography, I noticed that too, but I think (as other people have said) this is all just a parody in which the actor exaggerates the claim of 4K video by saying he can do 16K and in addition shows how the person in the video explaining the 4K video could have simulated it. This, combined with bad acting, gives you this video.

Upvote 0
L

LukeS

camlessphotography said:

Read This

um guys, the 16k video is a joke... it clearly says in the video description that it is a fake and a joke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTN7Ayosq0

IT'S A PARODY of Earz62801's 4K firmware hack video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBaXUK...
Please don't take it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!

That being said the 4K firmware seems like a hoax or maybe social engineering to get everyone to download a virus. All these videos saying it is coming with no demonstration of it working makes me think it is all BS. If it is real just show it working, it is that simple, stop dicking around with all these announcement videos.

They just posted another announcement videos that shows nothing, just talk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34Vw-I2Lzo

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Happy New Year and One More Teaser

HTML:
<strong>Wooo!</strong>

Happy New Year to everyone switching their digits over tonight.</p>
<p>Have fun and play safe.</p>
<p><strong>4K Firmware Teaser</strong>

One more firmware teaser was released today. I’m eager to find out if it’s real. A lot of folks have made up their mind that it isn’t, I will wait another day. :)</p>
<p><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="640" height="385" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L34Vw-I2Lzo?fs=1&hl=en_US" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L34Vw-I2Lzo?fs=1&hl=en_US" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></p>
<p><strong> <span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I just wish that Canon would give us a new lens like it did last year this time with the 70-200 2.8 II. 24-70 IS. Now is the time. Just like last year and the year before and the year before. 2006 I think is when the rumors started circulating about this lens. It's so long overdue that it pains me to still have to talk about it not existing. That, and maybe I'll pick up the 24 tse I've been lusting over forever.

Anyway, I have a feeling that 2011 is the year of Panasonic.

GH2 drops in price some
GF3 gets introduced
fast constant aperture wide to tele zoom introduced
ultrawide pankake (12 mm)

I buy a kit with wide pancake (or 7-14 zoom), 100-300, nokton or panasonic equivalent 25 mm, and fast constant ap. zoom. Do some serious travel photography.

Upvote 0
Just do the math how much data raw in 4K would produce and would have the need to be compressed. If you know how large the memory of the camera is and how fast, you could get your answer. So, 6 seconds he claims to have it running, that is quiet a lot of information.
BTW how can a camera produce 8 K or 16 K when the sensor is not able to produce that even in still? Is there none who get this, that it is a joke? Rolling shutter Off: haha.

Nice fake, too nice to be true.

Happy 2011

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.