Should I buy a lens or sell the ones I own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gist of my question is this: How long before Canon releases a camera with the sensor technology it seems Sony and Nikon currently possess? The sample images I've seen so far from the 5DIII and D800 have me underwhelmed with Canon's offering, especially at the price. My initial thought was to sell my lenses (a few L primes, the 50 1.4 and 28 1.8) and move to Nikon. I want to go FF, but I want great low-light and superb focus. If I can't get both, I might as well go for the superior resolution of the D800. There doesn't seem to be anything in the 5DIII for me other than existing lenses and familiar UI.

The alternative would be to invest in glass and wait for Canon to start using Sony sensors. I could get a 70-200 2.8 IS II and the new 24-70 2.8 II for five grand or so and wait a few years for the 5DV, the 3D, or some other mystical unicorn.

I have no problem waiting a few years. I'm happy with my T2i and current glass, but I really want to add a FF at some point. Is there any reason to suspect Canon will go elsewhere for better sensor tech (and WB tech while they're at it?).

This is not a trolling post, btw. I've been eagerly awaiting the 5DIII for years and hovered over the pre-order button dozens of times. I have the money to spend. I'm just flabbergasted that they allowed the most important/anticipated product release in the companies' digital history to fall flat on its face like this. (My opinion of course and based on the handful of images released thus far).

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I haven't seen a problem after installing Adobe Camera Raw beta 6.7 r1.

If you open the raw files without the right software, you will see the small jpeg embedded in the raw, and it will have noticibly poor quality.

The actual raw files look pretty good to me.

That adds another option: purchase glass and wait and see if the 5DIII gets better with firmware updates. I use RAW for important stuff, but I also do a lot of jpg shooting for non-critical work. Perhaps a lot of these issues come from heavy NR and can be fixed.

Still won't help the DR, which leaves me hoping Canon will give up on their sensor technology and adopt whatever Sony's dishing out.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
Just to make things clear. More megapixels and cleaner high ISOs are two opposites, just like shooting JPGs and wanting better DR. The third impossible thing (at least for 2012) is Canon using Sony sensors in their DSLRs :). You have to rethink your priorities before buying anything, because it seems like you don't really know what you want. 5D3 is an excellent camera and so is D800, pick one.

Upvote 0
ecka said:
Just to make things clear. More megapixels and cleaner high ISOs are two opposites, just like shooting JPGs and wanting better DR. The third impossible thing (at least for 2012) is Canon using Sony sensors in their DSLRs :). You have to rethink your priorities before buying anything, because it seems like you don't really know what you want. 5D3 is an excellent camera and so is D800, pick one.

It's looking like the D800 added a ton of megapixels and yet slightly improved the high ISO performance. And they kept the industry-leading DR. Canon may have improved nothing but FPS and AF. Nice, but I want image quality improvements and more MP is a component to higher image quality.

If the 5DIII has the same overall IQ as the 5DII, then why aren't we all in an uproar? Is this why Canon no longer innovates? We just accept whatever they toss our way and pay whatever they ask?

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
HughHowey said:
ecka said:

It's looking like the D800 added a ton of megapixels and yet slightly improved the high ISO performance. And they kept the industry-leading DR. Canon may have improved nothing but FPS and AF. Nice, but I want image quality improvements and more MP is a component to higher image quality.

If the 5DIII has the same overall IQ as the 5DII, then why aren't we all in an uproar? Is this why Canon no longer innovates? We just accept whatever they toss our way and pay whatever they ask?

Well, you've just said it, you want more MP... If you don't want to pay for improved FPS, AF and high ISO, then perhaps 5D2 is all you need from Canon side. You can't get any cheaper high MP FF camera after all. 5D2 image quality is very good already and 5D3 has about 2 stops better high ISO noise. Clean ISO-3200 and usable ISO-25600 means nothing to you? If you think that Nikon is flawless then you are going to be surprised :) (after you switch). Go read Nikon forums for a change.

Upvote 0
HughHowey said:
There doesn't seem to be anything in the 5DIII for me other than existing lenses and familiar UI.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand posts like this. I don't have any digital full frame cameras, so I'm not responding as a 5D champion.

The camera isn't even out yet but there are countless posts complaining about spec wishlists that Canon forgot to add to the 5DIII, followed by threats about switching to Nikon or Sony. Artists have been using light capturing boxes to create beautiful images for generations. Every photographer has different needs in their camera. I'm sure there is something that exists on the market that will satisfy your needs.

Since you are using a very nice Rebel camera, I can only assume you are not a professional that demands the highest performing device available. Since posts like yours are very common, out of curiosity, what would satisfy your needs?

I'm not a pro, and I'm not writing this to be nasty or attack you, I'm just trying to understand where people are coming from. In my opinion, ALL of these modern cameras are capable of capturing beautiful images.

Good luck in your quest to find that unicorn :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.