Should I buy the SX30 or wait...

B

bimbobo

Guest
Hi,
for those who already has the SX30IS... should I buy it now or wait until a new version is available.

I need a super zoom with all-round capability, but also good to "low-light/indoors" pictures.
In Denmark is pretty dark in winter time ;)

I would like video 1080 and good bursting shoot, but I read this cam is not good at this (also low-light"

Is it that bad? Would you recommend it anyway (mayn´be running CHDK firmware"

Nobody answer "question" about when we could expect a new SX40 :-(

Thanks in advance
Regards
 

elflord

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 2, 2011
692
0
bimbobo said:
Hi,
for those who already has the SX30IS... should I buy it now or wait until a new version is available.

I need a super zoom with all-round capability, but also good to "low-light/indoors" pictures.
In Denmark is pretty dark in winter time ;)

I would like video 1080 and good bursting shoot, but I read this cam is not good at this (also low-light"

Is it that bad? Would you recommend it anyway (mayn´be running CHDK firmware"

Nobody answer "question" about when we could expect a new SX40 :-(

Thanks in advance
Regards
There's a trade off between zoom range and low light performance. Larger sensors with fast lenses (e.g. S95 or an SLR camera) mean better low light performance, but also larger lenses for a given zoom range. So super zooms have tiny sensors to avoid having to use huge lenses. That's why you can't buy a 30x zoom lens for a (large sensor) SLR camera -- if such a thing existed, you would need a golf cart to carry it.
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
Hi,
I would like to clarify..

Sure I cannot expect a 35X zoom cam with this sensor to have fantastic performances.
I was talking 1080 video, not a problem to improve from 720.
Better" low light", meaning I do not care about 1000Mega Pixels if the quality is bad.. so less megapixels, 10 is enough for 90% of all persons using a compact camera, but bit larger sensor like the S95 or a bit bigger, of course not expexting DSLR quality.

Burst speed.. is much better for all other competitors in this class.

You can improve the SX30IS also lowering the zoom.. I tried the HS20 Fuji with 30X and was excellent range.
24-30 is also more than acceptable.

Instead of pushing "marketing bullS___", they should prioritize for the quality a bit more. :)
Regards

PS. I read that maybe the new SXxx will be released in mid september.. let's wait then.
 
J

Jakes

Guest
30 x zoom is more than enough if they can up the image quality, burst speed and output RAW format. To answer your question, I would wait two weeks.

Im on the market for a super zoom (bridge), and the best one out... seems to be the Panasonic Lumix FZ100. It comes with all of the features mentioned above, barring the zoom. It is over a year old however, meaning there should be an update real soon. Nikon P500 also seems fairly good value for money.

Canon SX30 just needs an update, and if the get it right where the FujiFilm HS20 could have... they could make a fair bit out of it.

Wait and see.
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
..I decide to wait 2-3 weeks, even because I saw a CR2 about the update for SX30IS.

I am not old in this forum, so I have a question for the old boys here.

How serious should I take the CR2 about the date and the version update of the SX30IS?
CR2 should be something from a "known source"..
Is that info then pretty sure? :)

Regards
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
well, well, well...
Now Pana has launched the FZ150, which has all I need to, but I like Canon "IQ" better normally.
I will give Canon a chance to release the Canon SX40HS within the end of September.
I really hope tha the CR2 for mid September is true..
But I have Plasma, BR and other Pana stuff at home so "FZ150" will not "hurt" me ;)
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
:) is it only mewiating for the "confirm" that a new SX40 will be released mid sep.

It seems nothing new has been added to the recent report. Good or bad sign?
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
...no rumours, comments?

We are getting closer IFA and mid-september, but still nothing about the SX40...
I am impatient because I need a new cam with 24X zoom or more, but I do not "want" to buy 1 until
I see the replacement of the SX30IS...

Are the mods. in the main CR site commenting this forum at all? :)
Comon guys, give us a hint...
 
L

Lumberjack93

Guest
I'm waiting on the new camera's to be released also.

I'm down to these models:

Canon PowerShot SX30

Nikon Coolpix P500

Sony Cyber-shot DSC HX100V

Sony just dropped the price of their HX100V to $399.00 on their online store.

I'm seeing other drops in price as well. Should be any time now that we see the new stuff start coming out.

My question: How long after Cannon "Officially Announces" the new Cannon SX40IS or whatever they call it until it actually hits this shelves of brick & mortar and online stores????

Anyone have any ideas?

LJ93
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,607
2,060
bimbobo said:
I am not old in this forum, so I have a question for the old boys here.

How serious should I take the CR2 about the date and the version update of the SX30IS?
CR2 should be something from a "known source"..
Is that info then pretty sure?
Let's see...we'll take the hoped-for replacement of the 24-70mm f/2.8L:

March, 2010 - lens is 'done and in the hands of marketing for release' [CR2]

April, 2010 - announced 'in the next few weeks' [CR2]

September, 2010 - announced by end of year, or by Feb, 2011 [CR2]

April, 2011 - announcement soon [CR2]

So, four "CR2" rumors and 18 months later...still no new lens. Doesn't sound like 'pretty sure' to me...
 
B

bimbobo

Guest
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz150_review/

If Canon does not release something newer than SX30IS in a months, then I will buy the FZ150.
All these rumours are exciting, but nothing happens.

Yes! there will be a new announcement the the 15th MAYBE, but it seems nothing sure and
will it be a SuperZoom, who knows? I like Canon.. but I have also Pana TV and BR and quality is excellent.
Maybe my A610 will be replaced by the FZ150
Regards
 
M

Mega

Guest
I'm in the market for a Super-Zoom (I think) and I am definitely waiting for the SX30 replacement to be announced.

I am seeing the replacement being referred to as the SX40HS. I know "IS" stands for Image Stabilization... so what does "HS" mean?
 
C

chrismartinez.co.uk

Guest
bimbobo said:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz150_review/

If Canon does not release something newer than SX30IS in a months, then I will buy the FZ150.
All these rumours are exciting, but nothing happens.

Yes! there will be a new announcement the the 15th MAYBE, but it seems nothing sure and
will it be a SuperZoom, who knows? I like Canon.. but I have also Pana TV and BR and quality is excellent.
Maybe my A610 will be replaced by the FZ150
Regards
your wish has been granted :) will be available next month according to the Canon UK site
 

KyleSTL

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 19, 2010
422
0
36
St Louis, MO
Mega said:
I know "IS" stands for Image Stabilization... so what does "HS" mean?
It means High Sensitivity, and it is Canon's implementation of back-side-illuminated CMOS sensors in P&S cameras. It yields better IQ in higher ISOs than comparable CCD sensors.