Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
This is a rare Rock Nuthatch, which was far away and badly lit (5DSR/560mm)

View attachment 187676
Interesting birds and very good shots Alan! Exactly for page 1001!
I was after the Rock Nuthatch during my vacation this summer and even hear it from the cliffs above but didn't see it... The rings on the legs are proof for how rare is the bird, like here on the Islands the ornithologists are taking special care of such a birds.

Reactions: AlanF

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting birds and very good shots Alan! Exactly for page 1001!
I was after the Rock Nuthatch during my vacation this summer and even hear it from the cliffs above but didn't see it... The rings on the legs are proof for how rare is the bird, like here on the Islands the ornithologists are taking special care of such a birds.
There are some very good ornithologists there and so ringing can be frequent. It wasn’t the best of images but it meant a lot to me to get. Thanks.

clbayley

EOS 80D
Aug 28, 2016
Hello all,

Its been a while since I posted a picture...been without a camera. Getting settled with the 90D. I did have some focus problems at first (using a 100-400 ver ii). I took the advice and turned off the face recognition. I also found that the IS mode 1 worked much better than mode 3. I don't recall anyone mentioning that...would be interesting to hear if others have the same observation.

I have also purchased Topaz DeNoise AI to get rid of the 90D grain...works amazing!

Here are my backyard friends...White Breasted Nuthatch, and a Downy Woodpecker.

Regards,

CB

Attachments

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hello all,

Its been a while since I posted a picture...been without a camera. Getting settled with the 90D. I did have some focus problems at first (using a 100-400 ver ii). I took the advice and turned off the face recognition. I also found that the IS mode 1 worked much better than mode 3. I don't recall anyone mentioning that...would be interesting to hear if others have the same observation.

I have also purchased Topaz DeNoise AI to get rid of the 90D grain...works amazing!

Regards,

CB
Your friends are my friends. It can be pretty challenging finding much else.

Jack

Reactions: clbayley

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Hello all,

Regards,

CB
Nice shots - wish I had those in my backyard. I am using Noise Ninja. Haven’t found the need to turn off face recognition as iAF seems to work well but will give it a try.

Reactions: clbayley

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Hello all,

Regards,

CB
"Here are my backyard friends...White Breasted Nuthatch, and a Downy Woodpecker"

Very nice photos Clbayley! And you are between very nice friends:)!

Last edited:

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
The local shop has just got a Sony 200-600mm lens. It's a beautiful piece of kit and the view through an EVF was really rather nice. All reports are it's really sharp. Although it's the same weight as my 400mm DO II with the 1.4xTC attached, it seemed heavier as it is about 60-64mm (2.5") longer and the centre of gravity is further away from the body. I wish Canon would bring out an equivalent lens for us birders, preferably lighter and retractable rather than fixed length.

Reactions: Pape