Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Last year there were reports of Glaucous-winged Gull on the Island (funny - there are no resident gulls on the Islands here) - first winter bird, just one for the Island. I went out at least 5-6 times to look for it - no success! Now again - first winter bird (reported last week I think), also one. I got it in the first attempt!!! Tell me about lucky times. Got ~400 photos (greedy:unsure:)!
I notice it as a large grey bird plunging into the water on my way for different spot. Turned back (~200 yards) and found it on the sand of the beach. First steps of the "friendship" were slow and risky: at ~20 meters/yards it was showing discomfort! Later I was allow to get to ~15 and finally the bird show me it's treasure - from about 12 meters/yards! I think this was already dead fish - I can see some fish-line on the photos...
At the last photo I left - every one needs some privacy:)!

DSC_0536_DxO.jpg
DSC_0661_DxO.jpg
DSC_0713_DxO.jpg
DSC_0835_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
And something more colorful... For many of you that gull may not be interesting because you have a lot of them.
For me they are like a treasure -so rare here!
You may find the Red-crested Cardinal much more exotic but we have (for difference...) tons of them here :p!

DSC_0394_DxO.jpg

DSC_0378_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
While everyone is drooling over the latest rumour of a Canon 100-500mm, I went out and used a hand-holdable 500mm instead. At my age, I haven't the time to wait for Canon to produce. European Kingfisher, Nuthatch, and teals, enjoying a winter's day in Suffolk. The teals were enjoying it too.

DSC_2888-DxOfemale_KingfisherSHAUTO.jpg
DSC_2956-DxO_nuthatch_SH.jpg
DSC_2833-DxO_female_teal_crop.jpg
DSC_2842-DxO_male_teal.jpg
DSC_2869-DxO_teals_mating_-0.5.jpg

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Absolutely amazing shots of the Kingfisher, I sometimes get to take similar shots of a local kingfisher, only so far away from the hide that the detail is lost, I spent 40 minutes in one session a couple of weeks ago and when he came close it was almost dark so still no detail. Still great to watch.
The Heron did that lake / river a biiig favour! More nice shots.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: AlanF