Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Nothing that impressive as the Alan's series but my goal was (Saturday) to teach my fingers how to use the new functions of some of the buttons that I reconfigure recently (just to prepare myself for the BIF today - Sunday). First it was awkward and frustrating but very soon started making sense (and most importantly - results!). Still a lot to master but at least it doesn't feel awkward (hmmm... may be just a little bit;)). Now I can (or actually still in experimental phase:unsure:) very fast switch between the different AF configurations of the camera and use them according to the situation. Still kind of messy but seems promising! With the BIF it's going to be even more messy - for sure!

DSC_2685_DxO.jpg
DSC_2698_DxO.jpg
DSC_2711_DxO.jpg
DSC_2738_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
Grant has posted an Antpitta. Here's a Tawny Antpitta, taken both by wife (above) and me (below) using 100-400mm II + 1.4xTCs on a 5DIV and 5DSR, respectively. There is all this new mirrorless GAS at present but I have to admit I am happy with this old kit. The 5DIV has the same sensor as the R and the 5DSR looks to have slightly more pixels than the rumoured 5R.

2B4A2548-DxO_Tawny_Antpitta.jpg
3Q7A8837-DxO_tawny_antpitta.jpg

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
Very nice shots. I especially like the second one.
It is a better pose, and the 5DSR has an advantage over the 5DIV, but the 5DIV actually competed well for detail.

Bert63

EOS RP
Dec 3, 2017
Whidbey Island, Washington
So - sorting through the summer backlog and decided to share a couple of my favorites. I love herons and these bubbas were very accommodating.

Interesting bit - while I was shooting the first image a lady went blazing past me. We were the only two people on a floating pier and she came up from way behind me with her cell phone out in front of her taking pictures as she went. I had been doing the good 'ole two-step, take a picture, two-step, take a picture, just trying to get a decent shot but not disturb/scare the bird.

I said "ma'am, you're blocking my shot and you're going to scare him away!"

Her response? "It's okay - I'm a photographer..."

SMH.

Both shots with EOS-R / 100-400 II / 1.4X @ 560mm.

EOSR3744---DxO.jpg

EOSR3770---DxO.jpg