Show your Bird Portraits

AaronT

EOS RP
Jan 5, 2013
I really like the Cardinal. Well done, Aaron.
Thanks Click. I was disappointed after the photo when I realized that due to some lens switching I shot the photo without my 1.4TC on my 100-400. I usually manage to get a bit more detail from that type of photo. The Cardinal posed perfectly and the light was right. Of course no-one will notice except me. ;)

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
Being largely confined to the garden, I am finding more and more birds in it. Not so much a background for great photos but an opportunity to catalogue them. This morning a female Great Spotted Woodpecker, high up a tree.I took about a 100 shots between the branches and twigs and got only one or two clean shots.
DSC_8215-DxO_Female_Great_spotted_woodpecker_vg_mc_U.jpg

AaronT

EOS RP
Jan 5, 2013
Being largely confined to the garden, I am finding more and more birds in it. Not so much a background for great photos but an opportunity to catalogue them. This morning a female Great Spotted Woodpecker, high up a tree.I took about a 100 shots between the branches and twigs and got only one or two clean shots.
View attachment 189637
I think many of us could say the same thing. Many shots, a few keepers. My shutter would be happier if that wasn't the case.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
I think many of us could say the same thing. Many shots, a few keepers. My shutter would be happier if that wasn't the case.
It's you, not the shutter - the shutter doesn't make difference between # of shots and # of keepers:)!
On the other hand Alan can rediscover his own garden - no matter of the # of keepers (I'm not restricted to the garden but I'm still jealous for his "garden" shots - nice shots are nice shots no matter where you take them!)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's you, not the shutter - the shutter doesn't make difference between # of shots and # of keepers:)!
On the other hand Alan can rediscover his own garden - no matter of the # of keepers (I'm not restricted to the garden but I'm still jealous for his "garden" shots - nice shots are nice shots no matter where you take them!)
Unless it's spray and pray.;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: Valvebounce

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
I think the Greenfinches have come to stay. One was on my bird feeder eating nyja seeds this afternoon. So, I dismantled and disinfected the feeder as Greenfinches have been decimated by disease, before refilling. Then this handsome male started serenading at the top of a tall tree but I was able to grab the 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC and rush up to our third storey and be not too far below him. A much better shot than the previous.

3Q7A2534-DxO_greenfinch_vg_dem.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
I think the Greenfinches have come to stay. One was on my bird feeder eating nyja seeds this afternoon. So, I dismantled and disinfected the feeder as Greenfinches have been decimated by disease, before refilling. Then this handsome male started serenading at the top of a tall tree but I was able to grab the 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC and rush up to our third storey and be not too far below him. A much better shot than the previous.

View attachment 189666
Do you know what kind of disease? I was surprised when last summer I didn't see single one in my Europe trip!

AaronT

EOS RP
Jan 5, 2013

View attachment 189666
It was definitely worth rushing up the stairs for.

Reactions: Jack Douglas

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Checking his six on a foggy morning... Hope everyone is staying safe. Canon EOS R with 600III. 1/800, f/5 @ iso 2000. RAW converted in DPP resized and sharpened in PS. Thanks for looking. View attachment 189708
In my childhood Birds of Alberta book was a photo of this bird and it was my dream to see one in real life but I never have. They are here but not common and I think rare where I actually live.

Great shot.

Jack

Reactions: Joe Subolefsky