Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
Very sad news today. The Longtailed Tits nest has been ripped apart. I think magpies found it and have eaten the chicks. The pesky magpies have been around a lot in the last few days, and the nest wasn't well hidden.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Very sad news today. The Longtailed Tits nest has been ripped apart. I think magpies found it and have eaten the chicks. The pesky magpies have been around a lot in the last few days, and the nest wasn't well hidden.
Pity!
We hat that with blackbirds two years in a row. They were nesting in a thuja hedge and both times the magpies were too clever for them.
Found the blue egg shells spread wide apart :(

This year the blackbirds try it again...

Reactions: Valvebounce

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Sorry Alan! My hope to see the chicks is gone...

Cog

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Nice. We don't get Grackles here and I have never seen the blue around the head and neck when I have been in the States (and never seen one in Canada).
You would typically see the blue color in the photo, but it's not always noticeable on an actual bird outdoors. It depends on how the light is reflected, I guess.

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
You would typically see the blue color in the photo, but it's not always noticeable on an actual bird outdoors. It depends on how the light is reflected, I guess.
I have to eat my words. Looking back over my images, I do find some with the blue colour.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice. We don't get Grackles here and I have never seen the blue around the head and neck when I have been in the States (and never seen one in Canada).
Up here in Edmonton area I've photographed them occasionally and even in sunlight the head was only slightly blue. IOW they tended to look all black so it seems, like starlings, you've got to catch the light at just the right angle.

Jack

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Not much from the weekend: Saturday I choose to go to the albatross preserve - no shade on the trail there (except your own) no clouds and bitterly hot. 7 miles there and back, the last 3.5 were painful. Just a photos of a Laysan Albatross chicks - all the reward. Today it was better - trail with some trees/shade. Also very hot and the light was difficult (birds hidden in the shades). At least challenging and more fun! In the case with the Red-billed Leiothrix I'm not sure who had more will to see the other guy in FF (I was hiding too:))!
Maybe not that colorful photos but I strongly prefer the real colors...

DSC_4747_DxO-1.jpg
DSC_4777_DxO.jpg
DSC_4785_DxO.jpg
DSC_4788_DxO.jpg

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
Hi, I have been on vacation since 5/1 and still have another week left. I have been out every day chasing warblers and everything else. It's been a great warbler year so far, 33 species, in Milwaukee County! Best one was an ultra rare (for my area) Black-throated Gray Warbler. He hung around the same place for a couple days, providing great views. I'm close to 40,000 pictures already this month, so I haven't had much time to edit. Here a few though, that are highly coveted among warbler watchers, which I was fortunate to get awesome photos of.

Jeremy

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (male-spring)
Canada Warbler (male-spring)
Cerulean Warbler (female-spring)
Golden-winged Warbler (male-spring)
Hooded Warbler (male-spring)
Mourning Warbler (male-spring)

Blackburnian Warbler (male-spring) 135.jpg
Black-throated Blue Warbler (male-spring) 133.jpg
Canada Warbler (male-spring) 153.jpg
Cerulean Warbler (female-spring) 113.jpg
Golden-winged Warbler (male-spring) 121.jpg
Hooded Warbler (male-spring) 127.jpg
Mourning Warbler (male-spring) 142.jpg