Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
As you know, different angles, lighting and other factors when viewing a bird, from a certain angle, can really throw off how It appears. If you look closely at your photo, you will see that his face is turned slightly away and up from you. You can still see the white throat, with slim line through, separating the secondary white patch between throat and cheek. Also you can see the yellow lores with white stripe over the eye. The head pattern looks correct as well. If you look at the back, you can see the colors match up too. Backlit birds are some of the toughest to ID, especially when in transitioning phase. There are several sub-species for this bird and it's possible it could be interbred. This is a first spring bird and still not developed into a breeding adult.

Jeremy
Thanks very much for that bit of education. After your first reply I had looked and caught the slight white throat and with further thought had gegun to align with your assessment and then given the other shot I posted I'm 100% on it being a WT.:)

Jack

Upvote 0
While observing a Western Bluebird nest, one thing I noted was how both the male and female would search this relatively clear area next to me for bugs/worms for the nestlings. So I decided to lay down and see if I could get some ground level captures of food gathering. This was, IMO, the most interesting shot as the male pivoted to watch and then chase a small flying bug.
C15014F-X3.jpg

1DX MK III w/600 f/4 II 1/2500 : f/8 : ISO 1000

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
While observing a Western Bluebird nest, one thing I noted was how both the male and female would search this relatively clear area next to me for bugs/worms for the nestlings. So I decided to lay down and see if I could get some ground level captures of food gathering. This was, IMO, the most interesting shot as the male pivoted to watch and then chase a small flying bug.
C15014F-X3.jpg

I love it!

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
C15014F-X3.jpg

He's waving at ya! Great photo!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm still following my daughter in her quest for taking shots of insects. As a result - not much shots of birds...
First two are juvenile Northern Cardinal, after that Red-vented Bulbul busy with his pray and finally a juvenile (male judging by the already protruding red color) of House Finch (jealous for the crown of the Bulbul or may be just to show his "pray":) ).

DSC_7243_DxO.jpgDSC_7314_DxO.jpgDSC_7498_DxO.jpgDSC_7541_DxO.jpgDSC_7553_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
C15014F-X3.jpg

Great shot ERHP, I love the complementary foreground and background colours. Well worth getting down and dirty then! :)

Upvote 0