Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
2n10 said:
A lovely and cooperative Spotted Sandpiper

Nice shot!
These are coming rarely to the island and when here, they lack the spots. Hard to distinguish from the Common sandpiper (also rare vagrant to the islands).

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
Canada geese taking a detour around the spillway of a weir on the South Saskatchewan River. They swam up to the weir, hauled themselves out onto the curtain, walked around and plopped themselves in the river again. I guess they decided they didn't want to ride the waves. It would have been a bit of a rocket. I wouldn't want to do it either.

Attachments

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice shots all, dpc. I prefer the ones in more natural surroundings and maybe crop in a little more on some, assuming you've got the MPs (RWBBird). :) I no longer get B swallows (something is up environmentally) but for years they would always be friendly nesting under my deck, but never now. :(

Jack

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
Thanks for the suggestion, Jack. I appreciate it. The only picture that I personally feel might do with cropping is the third from last. I'll go back to the RAW and give it a try but I'm skeptical. I wanted to give the geese room in the picture to include more of the weir to give a better sense as to what they were doing.

JuanMa

Canon New F1
May 10, 2018
Spain
500px.com
Nice pictures dpc, there are a lot of those little barn swallows around my town, there is a nest just above mi home’s main door. I think the same family comes back every year as they inherited the nest. You can stay very close they don’t go.

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
This is as far in as I can crop this one. It's a bit iffy in terms of resolution. I was quite some distance from the birds and even with my lens zoomed out to 600mm it was a problem getting a usable picture. I doubt it would print well unless very small (not that I want to print it, mind). I did want to try and get a shot of the interaction the blackbirds were having with the marsh.

Attachments