Show your Bird Portraits

Nice photos - and many!
Today I was guiding my visiting family from Canada. Kids want Zoo, my friend wants fast photos of some of the common wild birds (there is hurricane coming around in the next few days, so I understand him...) so, we went to the Zoo (it's a famos point for some common species)... Not much fun for me but I'm happy he got his Yellow-fronted Canary, Japanese White Eye and few more, very good shots (sporting his Canon 7 Mk2 with 400mm DO Mk2). Here are the only shots I took (in walk-in cage with exotic birds). Easy shots except the presence of happy kids that use to touch/lean on your tripod in the worst moment. On other hand I had time to access the psychology of some people: military family (very common here) - kids (usually) do not create problems, parents asking questions (like "what kind of lens do you have"), local family - I say sorry (being on their way - it was narrow there), they answer "take your time bro", "did you get good shot?"). And the rest in ~50% are kind of troublemakers especially the kids (well, on other hand I'm on their way, so I"m also kind of... whatever:confused:!).

Hi Ilko,
you managed another great shot ;); colours coming out perfectly - so exposure / lighting bang-on right!
And with your family using Canon gear you've earned your stay in this forum :eek::p
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Ilko,
you managed another great shot ;); colours coming out perfectly - so exposure / lighting bang-on right!
And with your family using Canon gear you've earned your stay in this forum :eek::p
Wiebe.

:D!! In the rush I probably didn't express myself very accurate: It's the family of friend! He is visiting with his wife and two grandchildren. Time to time we are kidding each other about the equipment but never serious...
Sorry for the disappointment;)!

Upvote 0
:D!! In the rush I probably didn't express myself very accurate: It's the family of friend! He is visiting with his wife and two grandchildren. Time to time we are kidding each other about the equipment but never serious...
Sorry for the disappointment;)!
As long as you keep posting those pictures - I will not be disappointed :)! Your photos are always worthwhile to look at and much appreciated (at least by me).

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's been an increasingly bad summer for my migraines so I'll use that as my excuse, or maybe it's old age. Also far to busy so have only had limited time on CR. Anyway, is there an equivalent to "unread posts since last visit" now on this site and if so where is it? Also I clicked the choice to get email notifications for this thread and don't seem to be getting them anyone?? Help please.:confused:

Jack

Upvote 0
From earlier this month, what I think is a Song sparrow. Am I right?

I like the new file insertion format! Can even select two at once.:) Not sure I prefer the new smilies.:(

Jack

Hi Jack, good to see that your migraine didn't affect your ability to take some very nice shots of a sympathetic little bird!
I'm no expert but I think you're right calling it a song sparrow (hey ISv where are you when we need you ;))

As for the forum; I'm getting used to the new hosting & layout, but indeed getting new posts only for your areas of interest does take some customizing... I've selected to "watch" the threads I like most and get alerts for them - then I can either call up the "watched threads" from the forum selection bar on the left or click on the appropriate 'alerts' (which only shows newest additions).

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Jack

Yes, It looks like a Song Sparrow. Very nice shots, Jack.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Whoopee, I did get the email notification for this thread this time so I'm good to go. I've mentioned work - I'm up to my eyeballs but the Bella Coola trip is taking shape and we'll leave on the 23rd. I will have photos unless I'm horizontal and under the earth! Some of you might visit BC on occassion and be interested in this area.

http://www.eaglesnest-resort.com/birdsandwildlife.htm

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack,
Beautiful shots.
Don't let migraines keep you down. And hope you'll overcome the discomfort and pain. Get well.
r

Riley, the migraines are so constant and chronic that I just live with them using mind over matter and physical activity as the antidote and generally that works quite well (been off the addictive pain meds for many years now). It will work for Bella Coola!! Thanks for the encouragement as always.

The new format for replying, including quotes is a good improvement. Overall, VG but how do you view "unread posts since last visit"?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack,
There are certain drugs one has got to use --- blood pressure, heart or cancer meds are a must, but pain and sleeping drugs are best to minimize or avoid. Not trying to "doctor" here, just common sense. Glad you're maintaining and controlling with (good) distractions.
Hope that's the worse problem you have.
Look forward to hearing your adventure to the high mountains of BC! Do have fun and relax :cool: :D !

For messages here on CR-f, I just look at (all) unread messages and choose those that I am interested, which vary depending on my time available. Not as convenient as before, but the powers-that-be wants a new look, we, sheep, follow. And yes, not all e-mail notifications come up. Still have to browse through on CR-f.
-r

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

I like the new file insertion format! Can even select two at once.:) Not sure I prefer the new smilies.:(View attachment 179486View attachment 179487

Jack

Nice shots Jack! Very nice!
Jack, I wander if you have the Lincoln's Sparrow in your area? Somehow this one looks like that species, but I'm not very familiar with your birds...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Jack, good to see that your migraine didn't affect your ability to take some very nice shots of a sympathetic little bird!
I'm no expert but I think you're right calling it a song sparrow (hey ISv where are you when we need you ;))

As for the forum; I'm getting used to the new hosting & layout, but indeed getting new posts only for your areas of interest does take some customizing... I've selected to "watch" the threads I like most and get alerts for them - then I can either call up the "watched threads" from the forum selection bar on the left or click on the appropriate 'alerts' (which only shows newest additions).

Wiebe.

Wiebe, there is a thing called "time zones";). The main reason to look at the forum rarely in the last days is because I keep an eye on the hurricane Hector - it's very close already.
BTW, I think I succeed to identify the mysterious "cherry" in one of your photos from Suriname: Check the Internet for Suriname berry (also called Suriname Cherry despite it has nothing to do with the real cherries).

Upvote 0
I was walking a trail the Parker River Wildlife Refuge out in Newburyport Massachusetts and I came around a bend in the trail to an opening and I saw this juvenile Peregrine Falcon watching over the marshland minding it's own business. Then this little bird started dive bombing it because it wanted it's perch back. After about 4 fly-bys the falcon was like forget this I'm outta here. I guess where there's a will there's a way

Parker River Round 6 Erica Aug 5th Kestrel  Bird 2 2048 2x3 (1 of 1) med.jpgParker River Round 6 Erica Aug 5th Kestrel  Bird 3 2048 2x3 (1 of 1) med.jpgParker River Round 6 Erica Aug 5th Kestrel  Bird 2048 2x3 (1 of 1) med.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0