Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Jack/ISv, I find luck to be the biggest deciding factor as it does not matter how much I plan/prepare for daily visits to the local areas, the birds/wildlife can always chose to visit a different spot or land behind me. One of the green herons on the river likes to do that, fly just past and land about 10' directly behind me.

Thursday evening after I left work I was hoping the marine layer would continue breaking up and give me some late evening light. Brought a tarp and climbed down the rocks just as one of the Yellow Crowned Night Herons flew in and landed about 30' upriver. I managed to get the tarp out in the mud, tripod low(two legs flat) and leveling base as close as possible. The heron kept hunting, getting closer and I'm trying to work around a rock digging into my ribs. In any event it finally hit MFD so I tried to slowly scoot back, then ran out of tarp and into the mud. Not the most light for action but overall I was pretty happy with this shot. Really contemplating a 200-400 1.4X for shenanigans like this because this one got about three feet away and all I could do was look down the side of the lens.

1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II 1/320 : f/10 : ISO 1000
"Jack/ISv, I find luck to be the biggest deciding factor as it does not matter how much I plan/prepare for daily visits to the local areas, the birds/wildlife can always chose to visit a different spot or land behind me ".

But they are still in the biotope where you expected them? And obviously not far from the chosen point? I think they are simply going after their food (and we usually ignore the movement of the food source(s) around - for this type of birds).
Anyway - great photo as usually (and well deserved judging by your comment:))!!!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Didn't include this in my previous posts - it's from series of photos posted last time. I didn't mention that after walking ~ 1-1.5 miles to the typical point where you can find them, after enduring all that heat and moisture walking around the "best spots" (total ~2-2.5 hours, you see them but can not approach), I gave up and went back to the parking spot - all I needed was a shower and cold beer (or any other cold liquid:)-even that low:D!). These bastards were just 20-30 meters (yards) from my car!!!! It cost me more than 30 min. to take all the photos (approaching, sneaking around e.t.c.) but I was glad at the end!!! Tell me about luck!

Attachments

Jack Douglas

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/64
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Right, we're not in control and just need to be thankful for what we have. It's too smokey and I've cancelled plans for any significant holiday this fall. I'll make up for it next year.;)

Jack

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Didn't include this in my previous posts - it's from series of photos posted last time. I didn't mention that after walking ~ 1-1.5 miles to the typical point where you can find them, after enduring all that heat and moisture walking around the "best spots" (total ~2-2.5 hours, you see them but can not approach), I gave up and went back to the parking spot - all I needed was a shower and cold beer (or any other cold liquid:)-even that low:D!). These bastards were just 20-30 meters (yards) from my car!!!! It cost me more than 30 min. to take all the photos (approaching, sneaking around e.t.c.) but I was glad at the end!!! Tell me about luck!
With animals in the wild it is always "luck" to be able to capture them so well as you regularly do - but then, good preparation and knowledge of e.g. feeding habits can improve your chances dramatically... Another well deserved beer
thum-up-s.png

Wiebe.

Click

Spends too much time on this forum
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice picture, ISv....And cool story.

Like Wiebe said: With animals in the wild it is always "luck" to be able to capture them.

AlanF

EOS 5DS R
Aug 16, 2012
Jack/ISv, I find luck to be the biggest deciding factor as it does not matter how much I plan/prepare for daily visits to the local areas, the birds/wildlife can always chose to visit a different spot or land behind me. One of the green herons on the river likes to do that, fly just past and land about 10' directly behind me.

Thursday evening after I left work I was hoping the marine layer would continue breaking up and give me some late evening light. Brought a tarp and climbed down the rocks just as one of the Yellow Crowned Night Herons flew in and landed about 30' upriver. I managed to get the tarp out in the mud, tripod low(two legs flat) and leveling base as close as possible. The heron kept hunting, getting closer and I'm trying to work around a rock digging into my ribs. In any event it finally hit MFD so I tried to slowly scoot back, then ran out of tarp and into the mud. Not the most light for action but overall I was pretty happy with this shot. Really contemplating a 200-400 1.4X for shenanigans like this because this one got about three feet away and all I could do was look down the side of the lens.
1DX MK II 600 f/4L IS II 1/320 : f/10 : ISO 1000
Beautiful portrait. There's a lot to be said for the 100-400mm II. It's IQ is great and its MFD just under a metre.

As Louis Pasteur once said: "Luck favours the well-prepared gear."

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I took today day off - to supply some necessities for the incoming huricane (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state). After shopping went to the location where I'm hunting the Red Avadavat - it's the same location for the African Silverbill. No Avadavats but I got group of ~20-30 Silverbills , hiding in the brush of Mangrove from the killer temperatures. Small part of the group is on photo 1. After that is another shot of the same group and the
DSC_9705_DxO.jpg
DSC_9709_DxO.jpg
DSC_9709_DxO-1.jpg
last is a big crop of the bird in focus... Not good compositions but it was not about that.
And I think I will (finally;)) disappear for some days - it is not looking good with this hurricane!

Nat_WA

How about some more free time to take pictures...
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I took today day off - to supply some necessities for the incoming huricane (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state). After shopping went to the location where I'm hunting the Red Avadavat - it's the same location for the African Silverbill. No Avadavats but I got group of ~20-30 Silverbills , hiding in the brush of Mangrove from the killer temperatures. Small part of the group is on photo 1. After that is another shot of the same group and the last is a big crop of the bird in focus... Not good compositions but it was not about that.
And I think I will (finally;)) disappear for some days - it is not looking good with this hurricane!
Nice set ISv; hope you get through the hurricane without damage (or better yet, that the hurricane will miss your place altogether).
Bird in flight would get a completely new meaning during the hurricane ;)...
Back to your birds - funny how some species always appear in groups while others (most) are more or less solitary (long-tail tits come to mind for my area - always in groups, while all other birds forage on their own)

Keep us posted on the situation once the hurricane has passed (and communication is restored...)
Wiebe.

Jack Douglas

https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/64
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice set ISv; hope you get through the hurricane without damage (or better yet, that the hurricane will miss your place altogether).
Bird in flight would get a completely new meaning during the hurricane ;)...
Back to your birds - funny how some species always appear in groups while others (most) are more or less solitary (long-tail tits come to mind for my area - always in groups, while all other birds forage on their own)

Keep us posted on the situation once the hurricane has passed (and communication is restored...)
Wiebe.
+1 Sweet. Good luck.

Jack