Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice shots Alan; I would not have expected this level from a superzoom "compact" - most of them get quite soft at the long end and OoF area is often not very smooth - but yours prove that it is possible to achieve quality (y) (the 1" sensor helps as it is 'big' for a compact camera...)
You don't happen to have shots with your 5DSR + 400DO-II to compare, do you ...?
Wiebe.

I have posted comparisons in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/dragonflies-and-damselflies.35543/page-4

The 5DSR + 100-400mm II does have an edge, but the the RX10 IV is being compared with one of the best resolution sensors and finest zoom lenses. The5DIV would not show such good detail but its acutance would be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have posted comparisons in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/dragonflies-and-damselflies.35543/page-4

The 5DSR + 100-400mm II does have an edge, but the the RX10 IV is being compared with one of the best resolution sensors and finest zoom lenses. The5DIV would not show such good detail but its acutance would be good.

I understand what's being said here and it is in the context of what one would think should be very much biased towards the pro camera. It peaks my interest since I'm considering a second camera and didn't get the 6D2 after selling the 6D.

However, relative to my present 1DX2 and 400 DO II usage (wildlife/birds), there is one major fly in the ointment. Probably 60% of my shots have me pushed towards ISO 1600+ and I now shoot 800mm a lot, so F8. While open sun presents a much better situation it's not the rule for me relative to birds, it's more the exception. Often I could lower the shutter but subject movement is not uncommon and there is a risk of a shot being otherwise desirable but blurred. As the present gear becomes too heavy for me my perspective will have to shift to lighter gear, obviously and compromise is in order.

This reminds me of when I set a tripod outside the photo store when buying the 6D and compared the performance of the 300 2.8 II to the 70-300 non-L. One many times the cost of the other, but the detail in the frame wasn't that ratio - I was focused on detail, not overall quality and was kind of shocked at this revelation. It also reminds me of how I love the rotational foot on the 300 when I'm on a tripod, etc.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I understand what's being said here and it is in the context of what one would think should be very much biased towards the pro camera. It peaks my interest since I'm considering a second camera and didn't get the 6D2 after selling the 6D.

However, relative to my present 1DX2 and 400 DO II usage (wildlife/birds), there is one major fly in the ointment. Probably 60% of my shots have me pushed towards ISO 1600+ and I now shoot 800mm a lot, so F8. While open sun presents a much better situation it's not the rule for me relative to birds, it's more the exception. Often I could lower the shutter but subject movement is not uncommon and there is a risk of a shot being otherwise desirable but blurred. As the present gear becomes too heavy for me my perspective will have to shift to lighter gear, obviously and compromise is in order.

This reminds me of when I set a tripod outside the photo store when buying the 6D and compared the performance of the 300 2.8 II to the 70-300 non-L. One many times the cost of the other, but the detail in the frame wasn't that ratio - I was focused on detail, not overall quality and was kind of shocked at this revelation. It also reminds me of how I love the rotational foot on the 300 when I'm on a tripod, etc.

Jack
Jack
I am using both approaches - the 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II + TCs on Canon bodies are my staples for distance and low light shots; the superzoom for being at hand when on safari when the big beasts fill the frame close up. You need two bodies for safaris, one with a long prime or zoom, and the other with a short zoom, so it's either a second DSLR or a superzoom or as Craig has, something like a Leica Q. The advantage of the superzoom is that you don't miss a shot when having to switch quickly between close and far.
The superzoom is also great for casual travel and for hiking without a heavy load. The long MFD of the 400mm prime is a big downside for photographing insects etc, which is one reason I like having the 100-400mm II to be able to do birds, beasts and insects. For our big trip, I'll be carrying the 5DIV + 400mm II and the Sony RX10 IV, my wife the 5DSR + 100-400mm II and either a TG-5 or M5.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack
I am using both approaches - the 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II + TCs on Canon bodies are my staples for distance and low light shots; the superzoom for being at hand when on safari when the big beasts fill the frame close up. You need two bodies for safaris, one with a long prime or zoom, and the other with a short zoom, so it's either a second DSLR or a superzoom or as Craig has, something like a Leica Q. The advantage of the superzoom is that you don't miss a shot when having to switch quickly between close and far.
The superzoom is also great for casual travel and for hiking without a heavy load. The long MFD of the 400mm prime is a big downside for photographing insects etc, which is one reason I like having the 100-400mm II to be able to do birds, beasts and insects. For our big trip, I'll be carrying the 5DIV + 400mm II and the Sony RX10 IV, my wife the 5DSR + 100-400mm II and either a TG-5 or M5.

Right on.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice shots Jeff! I especially like the first one (although it might have gained even more expression through lifting the shadows a bit on the right side of its head); while the colours of the barn swallow and the favourable lighting make it a very close competitor :cool:
Wiebe.

+1! Actually I like all three.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
The birds in my area are starting to migrate to the south. I have the urge to sort of say good bye by taking picts. Here are two species of Swallow photographed in the rigging of a boat. Barn and Cliff Swallows.View attachment 179908

Super nice Jeff!
:cool:

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
More of the same. On other hand the transition of the Chestnut Munia from juvenile to adult plumage is interesting (there were no identical birds between the~15-20 in that flock!). Despite I always talk myself "stop taking pics of Shama" - two more (I just can't stop:oops:!).
Interesting series.

Upvote 0