Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, my brain is slower than usual because of a cold, so please explain.
Alan, she was captive by her instinct to persist in raising her brood at great risk - no? At any rate I got exceedingly close so to me it was a captive I was shooting.

In general I think captive (zoo) shots are just fine and best when identified as such but that's secondary. In the beginning I struggled a bit with the idea of using feeders and staged shots but I've found that it's the thrill I get from seeing the detailed features of these precious creatures that matters most to me along with the fun that comes from being creative in getting the shots. The centre of attention is the bird not me.

Of course the greatest thrill is still those rare in the wild sightings that get captured!

Get well, Alan. Thanks Click - I suspect that I previously posted this shot.

Jack

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Very good shot Jack! Except for some very common species it's not easy to spot a nest too
ISV, thanks, I don't know your area - do you have robins? If not then you may not be aware of how many there are here and how easy they are to detect. In the summer the robin may be the most common bird in Alberta other than maybe chickadees, Downies and magpies/crows. Their eggs get picked off by the magpies/crows. That day I thought, hey, I shouldn't just ignore the bird, rather get an intimate shot that is 100% typical.

Jack

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
ISV, thanks, I don't know your area - do you have robins? If not then you may not be aware of how many there are here and how easy they are to detect. In the summer the robin may be the most common bird in Alberta other than maybe chickadees, Downies and magpies/crows. Their eggs get picked off by the magpies/crows. That day I thought, hey, I shouldn't just ignore the bird, rather get an intimate shot that is 100% typical.

Jack
:)! No - no Robins in Hawaii... But I have seen them back in the country of my origin (restricted in low-land, or at least (much) more abandon to the Mountains, not sure the same species, have to check it out).

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Here, some from today - after the talk about captive birds (it was very good idea - I had no time for any thing longer) I just jump in the local Zoo:)!
Note the difference between the male and female of the Violet-backed Starling! The males are much more shy - didn't have a chance for any thing better.
African Love Bird 1.jpg
Cinnyrinclus leucogaster - Violet-Backed Starling Female 6.jpg
Cinnyrinclus leucogaster - Violet-Backed Starling Male 1.jpg

Last edited:

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Beautiful birds ISv! Given they were shot in a zoo, they apparently made an effort to make it look natural; only one shot showing some 'man-made' objects (or is it the photographers craftsmanship staging the compositions such that no non-natural objects come into view ;))(y)
W.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful birds ISv! Given they were shot in a zoo, they apparently made an effort to make it look natural; only one shot showing some 'man-made' objects (or is it the photographers craftsmanship staging the compositions such that no non-natural objects come into view ;))(y)
W.
On close inspection, you can see the bottom four are all ringed.

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
ISv,
Without captive creatures, most of us mortals can't see a lot of the vast variety of the species. Nor do we really take the care to observe closely what they look like.
If the creatures are taken great care of, we should enjoy them. Only difference a captive animal don't enjoy is it's natural range of environment. Or, maybe its' own crowd.
The zoo in Pittsburgh has a great variety of creatures there, and the National Zoo in Washington, DC., also has a great program to care for their "guests."
While visiting Maui, I saw a "zoo" which has a fairly opened compound, the hosted flight-capable creatures can roam around quite freely, while the natives come and go as they choose. Food keeps them returning. And there are some less common species that are kept in their own spaces, but they look to be cared for well.
-r

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
ISv,
I'm pointed to the image of a "thumb up" being a blank square. So, I want to write it in words that your photos of the birds are beautiful and deserve a big "thumbs up."
-r

Reactions: Jack Douglas

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
W.
Thanks Wiebe, you have to stage, but in that place it's easy!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
On close inspection, you can see the bottom four are all ringed.
All are caged and you are in the cage with them. Actually you can see the cage only in #3 - the male starling, that feeder is at the very border of the cage. The other stuff that you see in the background are trees and even some "cliffs", they made it good. I wish it was bigger with more species flying around and not aloud for kids:)!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
ISv,
I'm pointed to the image of a "thumb up" being a blank square. So, I want to write it in words that your photos of the birds are beautiful and deserve a big "thumbs up."
-r
Riley, it doesn't mater. I asked my question in the "Flowers" because I didn't understand what did you mean (Graham explained what we see there).
:D: and I writ an answe same day, also in the "Flowers..." - just to find this morning that I forgot to push "Post reply" :D:D! When I log on the "Flowers" it is still there - waiting to be posted:oops:!

Reactions: lion rock