Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and encouragement!
The photos were taken this summer in Bird Heaven aka Costa Rica. I've got quite a large collection of birds from those 2 and a half weeks while I was there. But I'll try not to spam this thread too much :)
I would direct the same question towards ISv, which Islands are there in question? Impressive and picturesque birds!
Just one more for now, a Collared Redstart, or as the natives call it - "Amigo de hombre" due to its friendly and trustful character.View attachment 182140
Islands of Hawaii, particularly Oahu:). Cockatoos are breading in very small colony (15-20 birds may be little more) at the very end of Manoa Valley and I think they are kept under control... Because of the restricted number of birds they interbreed - the one on the picture should be White Crested x Salmon Crested but it's hard to say...
The Eclectus is something I see first time, the same location as Cockatoos (BTW it was calling same as the Cockatoos but they were not answering - obviously they know their talk better than me:)). No known population on any of the Hawaiian Islands, I'm sure it's a new escape from somebody's cage.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Add me to the need advice list.:)

Recently my waxwings seem to have perfected a magic trick of wishing the berries into their mouths.;)

Jack
Lovely photos of lovely birds, Jack.
We had a flock visit 2 years ago but they haven't returned. They were not at all skittish and you could get very close.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful series, Jack.
0057.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Beautiful series, Jack.
0057.gif

Thanks all of you for the kind words.

Alan, I shot from my deck for a better angle as opposed to down below with an upward facing underside view. That would have allowed me to get on the "right" side for lighting and closer to eliminate the 2X, and better camera settings.

As it was, the deck lighting angle was sometimes acceptable, the F8 was a pain since it sent me to ISO 2000 at 1/1250 sec, which was too slow. So, I was happy to even get this level of acceptability. Everyone has seen the starling flock photos - well, these were almost like that in the air but some sat on distant trees while groups descended on my tree.

The tree was loaded, like millions of berries and in three days, not a one left. Day one; cloudy, day two; sunny but I was engrossed in a construction project - if it's sunny tomorrow I'd better shoot since 1/2 the berries are gone; day three, worked too late day two and climbed out of bed at 9:30 AM.
Wow, the berries are almost gone. Jumped into some clothes, grabbed the camera and out on the deck I went where there is a railing for elbow support and fired away (many at 14 fps). Out of about B waxwing s_38677.JPG500 shots the vast majority were garbage but luck has its way of helping out.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nice shots, Jack! Beautiful creatures... Just one question - so I guess they are enjoying their berry meals still being in Canada? Are the Waxwings migrating to the south at all or are these maybe some of the lazier/slower fellows? I'm not very knowledgeable of the north-american space, unfortunately...

I'll gladly share advice on traveling to and in CR, but geez, where to start!?
Maybe the first thing to decide upon should be the season to visit in, as both the dry and the rainy season (which is when I was there) have their advantages. Some interesting birds like the Quetzals in the Highlands are breeding during the dry season and some swamp/lake areas in the north are supposed to witness literally invasions of bird swarms following the remaining water reserves.
But of course the rainy season has significantly less tourism and the nature is in full bloom!...

Upvote 0
Beautiful photos Jack!!
Strolioni - they are migratory but in Canada (as well in Europe and Asia) the Bohemian Waxwing has intermediate zone where it could be seen year long. The Cedar Waxwing is most probably not seen in Canada during the winter - it migrates further South.

Oh, right, thanks! I could have thought about that actually!...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Storioni. ISV is correct, the cedars disappear to go south from central Alberta in September. I don't recall seeing Bohemians until late fall and then throughout all of winter. In early spring they'll be on the ground eating (gorging) on rotten berries as the snow melts. I've included a shot of that activity from two or three years ago (probably previously posted).

Now Costa Rica - Alan, check; rainy season isn't just rainy and it's more lush.

If it works out we may go in March and stay until April, which I guess would be on the edge of the dry season. That's if we go on the volunteer work project that I tentatively signed up for. Otherwise, being retired, anything is possible.

I signed up for newsletters from: https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/ and am trying to wrap my head around all the new information. Much like Alan, I'd be most interested in photography and more wildlife than landscape, but both and also a little culture/history.

This is a bird thread but we seem to tolerate various chit-chat and even allow Nikon shooters!;) So, I'm sure everyone would love to hear about Costa Rica, especially the birding.

JackBohemian Waxwing_22982.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Well then, I'll try to sum things up!

My 2 first photos in my previous post, as well as the following three were taken in one of the best areas for birding, that is right in the center of CR, between Cerro de la muerte, Parque Nacional de los Quetzales and Tapanti. The Mountains there reach 3000m or more so it can get very cold at night!
Then of course there are the all time classics like Volcano Arenal, Reserva Santa Elena and Monteverde where you can also spot great specimens, but these locations are much more frequented.
And if you really are into hardcore stuff and reasonably in shape, Corcovado national park is the highlight of all time!
20 km walks through jungle (did it with 2 cameras hanging on my backpack + 3 lenses... Wished I had taken my flash with me, but already that was borderline!), crossing rivers thigh-high in the company of crocodiles, Howler monkey waking you up at 5 am in the middle of the jungle - this is really something special.
But the most important thing is you get good guides for your tours, as all the top cameras and expensive lenses won't help you spot the birds, if you don't know how to find them! Fortunately most of the guides I met were genuinely passionate about their job and also very nice people.
I would reckon that CR is a safe country apart from the capital and some portions of the coastal line like Dominical-Uvita.
When you will have bought the plane tickets let me know via PM and I'll gladly recommend some lodges (and eventually guides!) if needed.
Until then, 2 more darlings - a black-billed nightingale thrush and an ochraceous wren, plus a nastier one whose name I couldn't retrieve yet.
20180730-4G4A4307 resized.jpg20180730-4G4A4495 resized.jpg20180730-4G4A4217 resized-2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for this. Both my wife and I are approaching 70 and are reasonably fit but with minor issues. Wading through rivers would have appealed to me some years back but probably not my wife. If the trip is materializing I will certainly PM you. Your suggestions would be very beneficial!

Keep the photos coming. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I don't have a real description of the bird: could be sexual dimorphism or young bird, just check the available photos on the net - not all of them have the typical features of the nominate subspecies (and there are several subspecies too - and I was not able to find proper descriptions for them). And the dark coloring could be a result of the exposure/post processing too? With the birds of some parts of the world we are still in the century before the recent one...

Upvote 0