Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Oh, Alan how could you! Of course if I had the 5D4, I'd have the MPs and the only thing I wouldn't like is the size/weight (as a back-up). You have an alternate smaller camera that's versatile but I was long ago planning to buy the 6D2 as a replacement for my 6D, which as you know served me well. I liked the size and weight and lived with the limited features happily so I expect the R would perform similarly for me but at this stage I want good AF, not 6D level AF. If not for my trip I'd probably be just like you, only considering a higher level R version eventually.

BTW everyone, pray for my birdies and other critters; it's -36C here tonight and that's not a wind chill factor, it's mighty cold out. I did restock the suet feeders and seeds but ... :( Just think, a few days ago it was +6C. It's nuts.

Jack

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Wow, -36°C I do hope that you, the birds and critters can find places to snuggle up and keep warm, hopefully they all had a good feed up on your feeders to help get them through, I find I cannot comprehend -36°C, the coldest I’ve experienced was the walk in freezer I helped to build a few years ago at -20° and that was cold even working hard finishing the trim during the test run! The coldest natural temperature I’ve experienced would be negative single digit °C and throw in some wind chill! I’m glad I don’t have to exist in temperatures colder than that!

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Graham the northern folk way up by the pole would tell you what real cold is. But I can say at -36 if you step out in house clothing you're freezing within a few seconds, nothing like -20C. Yesterday, at sunset, a moose wandered into my back yard and just laid down for the night in the snow - like how do they survive!;)

Jack

Attachments

Reactions: Valvebounce

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Graham the northern folk way up by the pole would tell you what real cold is. But I can say at -36 if you step out in house clothing you're freezing within a few seconds, nothing like -20C. Yesterday, at sunset, a moose wandered into my back yard and just laid down for the night in the snow - like how do they survive!;)

Jack
I spent several winters in Resolute, NWT, Canada. To put the cold into perspective, we kept the 4X4 in a heated garage, the garage was heated to -40C.

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
My first kingfisher of the year! 5DIV + 100-400mm II.
Very nice shot of this beautiful, colourful bird Alan! Did you shoot it from a hide or could you "just" sit and wait at one of the places she frequents (guessing its a she by the colour of the bill/beak)
W.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Very nice shot of this beautiful, colourful bird Alan! Did you shoot it from a hide or could you "just" sit and wait at one of the places she frequents (guessing its a she by the colour of the bill/beak)
W.
I walked into a hide and saw her perched on a branch and took the shots before sitting down. Others had been waiting for hours in the hide! One of the advantages of an old fashioned DSLR is that it is always at the ready with no warm up time.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Jack
The ever readiness of a DSLR is really an enormous plus for an an opportunistic nature photographer - there are so many occasions when you have to be quick on the draw, from a bird suddenly coming into view shooting across the sky to one just appearing in a gap in the trees before darting off.