Show your Bird Portraits

Taken a few days back with a 5DIII and a 70-200 f2.8 LIS II and a 2x extender. Hand held. If find that I get really sharp results with the Canon 2x if I drop a 1/3 stop to f6.3. A titles this image "Angel Wings", but it's an immature male Black Headed Gull in winter Plumage.20190205-_W5A8827.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very nice shot of this beautiful, colourful bird Alan! Did you shoot it from a hide or could you "just" sit and wait at one of the places she frequents (guessing its a she by the colour of the bill/beak)
W.
I walked into a hide and saw her perched on a branch and took the shots before sitting down. Others had been waiting for hours in the hide! One of the advantages of an old fashioned DSLR is that it is always at the ready with no warm up time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack
The ever readiness of a DSLR is really an enormous plus for an an opportunistic nature photographer - there are so many occasions when you have to be quick on the draw, from a bird suddenly coming into view shooting across the sky to one just appearing in a gap in the trees before darting off.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I have left the freezing cold and snow of Wisconsin and headed to sunny, 80 degree Florida for 2 weeks! My dad has a place in North Port, on the gulf side. Here are a few pictures from the first day here, in his neighborhood. 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. Some of the images are without the extender, since anyone who has been to Florida, knows birds don't mind people there! Sometimes a 500 prime is too much.

Tricolored Heron
Glossy Ibis
Green Heron
Common Ground Dove
Northern Mockingbird

Jeremy

Tricolored Heron 105.jpgTricolored Heron 106.jpgGlossy Ibis (adult-nonbreeding) 112.jpgGreen Heron (breeding adult) 105.jpgGreen Heron (breeding adult) 109.jpgCommon Ground Dove 103.jpgNorthern Mockingbird 103.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Yesterday I was at Bunche Beach and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Two amazing places for birds! I usually do the first couple hours of sunlight at Bunche Beach, and then move on. After that, I went to Corkscrew Swamp. You can seriously spend all day there! If you have not been there and are going to southern Florida, make that a stop. This first set will be from Bunche Beach and the second set will be from Corkscrew Swamp. All taken with 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. Again, some were taken without extender, due to extreme closeness.

Reddish Egret
Little Blue Heron
Snowy Egret

Jeremy

Reddish Egret 108.jpgReddish Egret 112.jpgReddish Egret 110.jpgLittle Blue Heron (adult) 105.jpgLittle Blue Heron (adult) 107.jpgLittle Blue Heron (adult) 109.jpgSnowy Egret 110.jpgSnowy Egret 109.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0