Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
I have left the freezing cold and snow of Wisconsin and headed to sunny, 80 degree Florida for 2 weeks! My dad has a place in North Port, on the gulf side. Here are a few pictures from the first day here, in his neighborhood. 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. Some of the images are without the extender, since anyone who has been to Florida, knows birds don't mind people there! Sometimes a 500 prime is too much.

Tricolored Heron
Glossy Ibis
Green Heron
Common Ground Dove
Northern Mockingbird

Jeremy

Tricolored Heron 105.jpg
Tricolored Heron 106.jpg
Glossy Ibis (adult-nonbreeding) 112.jpg
Green Heron (breeding adult) 105.jpg
Green Heron (breeding adult) 109.jpg
Common Ground Dove 103.jpg
Northern Mockingbird 103.jpg

jmeyer

Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
Yesterday I was at Bunche Beach and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Two amazing places for birds! I usually do the first couple hours of sunlight at Bunche Beach, and then move on. After that, I went to Corkscrew Swamp. You can seriously spend all day there! If you have not been there and are going to southern Florida, make that a stop. This first set will be from Bunche Beach and the second set will be from Corkscrew Swamp. All taken with 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. Again, some were taken without extender, due to extreme closeness.

Reddish Egret
Little Blue Heron
Snowy Egret

Jeremy

Reddish Egret 108.jpg
Reddish Egret 112.jpg
Reddish Egret 110.jpg
Little Blue Heron (adult) 105.jpg
Little Blue Heron (adult) 107.jpg
Little Blue Heron (adult) 109.jpg
Snowy Egret 110.jpg
Snowy Egret 109.jpg

Aug 16, 2012
Yesterday I was at Bunche Beach and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Two amazing places for birds! I usually do the first couple hours of sunlight at Bunche Beach, and then move on. After that, I went to Corkscrew Swamp. You can seriously spend all day there! If you have not been there and are going to southern Florida, make that a stop. This first set will be from Bunche Beach and the second set will be from Corkscrew Swamp. All taken with 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. Again, some were taken without extender, due to extreme closeness.

Reddish Egret
Little Blue Heron
Snowy Egret

Jeremy
We were at Corkscrew last month and had a great time. I posted shots of painted buntings. Did you get any? Here is a limpkin with a snail and a piedbill grebe.
3Q7A4403-DxO_limpkin+snail.jpg
3Q7A4421-DxO_pied_bill_grebe.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017

I always have problems with IDing these little ones. Is it a dunlin?
I don't think it's Dunlin. Not Sanderling or Semipalmated sandpiper too (the forth thumb is clearly visible - Sanderlings are missing that one. In the Semipalmated we have to see some connection between the thumbs, I don't see it ...). I will try to ID it when I get home but since it looks like one of the "pips" I may fail - these are notoriously difficult... It may help somewhat if you tell us where you took that photo. Nice shot anyway!

jmeyer

Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
We were at Corkscrew last month and had a great time. I posted shots of painted buntings. Did you get any? Here is a limpkin with a snail and a piedbill grebe.
I didn't get to see the Painted Buntings this time, but saw them two years ago when we were there. I tried several times, at both feeding areas, but nothing. We spent a little over 4 hours there, then the wife started getting antsy. Here is a my list from eBird.

Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, Collier, Florida, US
Feb 12, 2019 11:45 AM - 4:22 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
35 species

Common Ground-Dove 1
Mourning Dove 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3
Purple Gallinule 2
Limpkin 1
Anhinga 3
Great Egret 6