Show your Bird Portraits

AaronT

EOS 80D
Jan 5, 2013
Wonderful shots Alan, Jeremy, et al. Mostly very dreary cold weather in the Windsor, Ontario area. Nice to see some sonny, warm weather shots.

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
There were lots of Francophones in Florida, which surprised me, until I was told they were from Quebec, not France, fleeing the cold. Nice place to visit in January (and at other times, no doubt)!

Reactions: AaronT

AaronT

EOS 80D
Jan 5, 2013
There were lots of Francophones in Florida, which surprised me, until I was told they were from Quebec, not France, fleeing the cold. Nice place to visit in January (and at other times, no doubt)!
You should have got some photos of them Alan. What you saw were some genuine Canadian Snow Birds! :) In case you don't know that is a widely used euphemism for Canadians fleeing the cold north to go south for the winter.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
I went today to chase the Red-billed Tropicbirds again (already 5 times in row...). First time in my life I was able to see it (in real) with all features in display. Photos are miserable, but it is single bird around and one has not much opportunity to get it right in photo (This is rare visitor to the Islands, in the last years present with 1, may be 2 birds/per year).
Next is the much more common Red-Tailed Tropicbird. In the close-up photo it suddenly went up from the nearby cliff - no time for zooming back (from 500mm) and the distance according the exif file was only ~12 meters. Any way one can see the white streamers in the first bird (the Red-billed...) and the red in the second Red-tailed...). Plus the red bill and heavy black markings on the back of the Red-billed (the third existing Tropic Bird is the Withe - tailed but it has yellow to pale orange bill and different markings on the back.).
DSC_5773_DxO.jpg
DSC_5783_DxO.jpg
DSC_5692_DxO.jpg
DSC_5759_DxO.jpg
These are easy to separate and they are only 3 species in the world.
Huh, the last photo should explane why I post these pics here, not in BIF (but the real reason is that I'm not confident posting in BIF - I have to upgrade my system - it's too slow for BIF. Please don't tell this to my wife:D)!

Last edited:

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I went today to chase the Red-billed Tropicbirds again (already 5 times in row...). First time in my life I was able to see it (in real) with all features in display. Photos are miserable, but it is single bird around and one has not much opportunity to get it right in photo (This is rare visitor to the Islands, in the last years present with 1, may be 2 birds/per year).
Next is the much more common Red-Tailed Tropicbird. In the close-up photo it suddenly went up from the nearby cliff - no time for zooming back (from 500mm) and the distance according the exif file was only ~12 meters. Any way one can see the white streamers in the first bird (the Red-billed...) and the red in the second Red-tailed...). Plus the red bill and heavy black markings on the back of the Red-billed (the third existing Tropic Bird is the Withe - tailed but it has yellow to pale orange bill and different markings on the back.).
[...]
These are easy to separate and they are only 3 species in the world.
Very nice pictures of such a wonderful bird ISv! You may not be 100% happy with the quality, but I'm 100% impressed with them anyhow ;)!
Huh, the last photo should explane why I post these pics here, not in BIF (but the real reason is that I'm not confident posting in BIF - I have to upgrade my system - it's too slow for BIF. Please don't tell this to my wife:D)!
I can sympathize with you there - when I only had my 50D BiF was out of my league; with the 7DmkII at least I have 'a fighting chance'... (although your camera body already has better AF tracking than a 50D ;)). I suppose it won't do a lot of good if I tell your wife that you really need a D500 or D850 or so :p:cool:...
W.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Wiebe, I think the worst in my system is the person behind the camera (I have to practice BIF even if I have to shoot just the doves around:). After that is the lens. My camera is also not the best for BIF but it will perform better with better lens.

Thanks Click! The birds are really nice, especially the Red-billed Tropic bird and they deserve better photos. Anyway, I was lucky to see the Red-billed so I'm not sorry for the few hours spent under the sun...

Last edited:

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I think I didn't tell that it's a breading season for the Tropicbirds right now and they use to display some "dance" movements in the sky. Same day as the previous post.
First bird in display (looking toward the Sun, right on the photo) is at distance ~133 meters. The second is at ~56 (BTW, I don't use to hide the Exif files). The "V' shape of the wings is not present in their"normal fly".
The point is to show what they are doing (would be better in video actually) despite of the low quality of the photos.
DSC_5633_DxO.jpg
DSC_5634_DxO.jpg
DSC_5636_DxO.jpg
DSC_5637_DxO.jpg
DSC_5638_DxO.jpg
DSC_5639_DxO.jpg

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
I think I didn't tell that it's a breading season for the Tropicbirds right now and they use to display some "dance" movements in the sky. Same day as the previous post.
First bird in display (looking toward the Sun, right on the photo) is at distance ~133 meters. The second is at ~56 (BTW, I don't use to hide the Exif files). The "V' shape of the wings is not present in their"normal fly".
The point is to show what they are doing (would be better in video actually) despite of the low quality of the photos.
Hi ISv,
Great shots, and it must have felt very rewarding to be able to see them "perform" their mating flight / dance :)(y)!
W.