Show your Bird Portraits

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Gorgeous weather back home, and the Peregrine Falcons have returned. Took this yesterday.The 5DSR +100-44mm II (+TC) are a good size to sit comfortably on a BR strap slung over a shoulder while cycling (on an upright Dutch bike).
Nice picture Alan, with the bird fluffed up (still cold despite the sun?)...
Btw., the patina of the roof 's lead lining is almost as nice as the bird ;)!
W.

AaronT

EOS 80D
Jan 5, 2013
Gorgeous weather back home, and the Peregrine Falcons have returned. Took this yesterday.The 5DSR +100-44mm II (+TC) are a good size to sit comfortably on a BR strap slung over a shoulder while cycling (on an upright Dutch bike).
Nice shot Alan. Usually the only raptors we have around where I live are Cooper's hawks, and they are quite shy. Yesterday I got a shot of Europe's infamous transplant to North America, the Starling. I got a look into the mouth and it was as disgusting as most of us find the rest of the bird. :oops: I am sure they have some redeeming quality, my wife and I just haven't found it yet. :)

Last edited:

AlanF

Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A E
Aug 16, 2012
Nice shot Alan. Usually the only raptors we have around where I live are Cooper's hawks, and they are quite shy. Yesterday I got a shot of Europe's infamous transplant to North America, the Starling. I got a look into the mouth and it was as disgusting as most of us find the rest of the bird. :oops: I am sure they have some redeeming quality, my wife and I just haven't found it yet. :)
Not a selfie, I hope.

Reactions: AaronT

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Very nice shot, Aaron!

Reactions: AaronT

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
From today: on the first one a mate displaying in front of the nest... And the "nest" - here we go as a "portrait";)! No better angle for the nest - few steps right and I'm in free fall ~10 meters... the bottom is a rock :(!

Reactions: mikekeck

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
From today: on the first one a mate displaying in front of the nest... And the "nest" - here we go as a "portrait";)! No better angle for the nest - few steps right and I'm in free fall ~10 meters... the bottom is a rock :(!
A really keen bird photographer would have jumped and taken the perfect shot while falling. You just have to practice. Or, perhaps a drone?

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Glick and Aaron!
Aaron, I don't think I have a vertigo. I have just the normal fear from heights (and it is not helping to feel confident when on the rocks but for sure helps to survive:)).

Alan, I may follow your advise next time (the free fall) but it would be a waste of camera and lens :). Concerning the drone: I actually was thinking about it...

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Have appreciated the last postings ... alas for some reason on a infrequent basis my notifications don't work. Wondered why it was so quiet.

Less than 3 weeks now to Costa Rica and oh so tedious it is trying to figure out where to go, what to do (other than shoot birds) and what accommodations to afford. It's more expensive than I thought. There are so many birds and animals it's mind boggling.

Jack

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Glick and Aaron!
Aaron, I don't think I have a vertigo. I have just the normal fear from heights (and it is not helping to feel confident when on the rocks but for sure helps to survive:)).

Alan, I may follow your advise next time (the free fall) but it would be a waste of camera and lens :). Concerning the drone: I actually was thinking about it...
My further advice is that when you fall land on your backside so the camera lands on you, a useful technique to master.