Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I did shoot a bird with the R today but then my card reader wouldn't work and I got sidetracked but here is a birder's lens and camera cover I made for Costa Rica in case anyone is interested, and it's shot with the R.:)

Can you believe it; we were booked on a 737 Calgary to Toronto but luckily today they re-booked us on an earlier flight, same day!

I used waterproof tent material and just sewed a tube for the lens and cut a hole for the Jobu handle. What to do with the camera region - it's tough so I just sewed a chunk of leather that adds a bit of weight and flops over the bottom of the 1DX2 when it's slung over my shoulder. Made a second one for the R with the 70-200 and in that case I added Velcro so it fastens together around the straps.

Probably there is something better commercially but this fits the 400 really nicely

Cog

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 6, 2013
What equipment were you using, shooting from a canoe...?
W.
Just a camera and sometimes a tripod with a gimbal head. But I don't often have a chance to use it. Usually only if it's quiet enough or if water is low enough. I took these pics handheld because it was easier to control the boat this way in strong wind. I'm thinking about a holder that can be easily mounted but haven't found anything suitable yet.

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Cormorants are the photographers friend. I still remember the first time I saw one drying its wings! Well done cog,

dolina

millennial
Dec 27, 2011
www.facebook.com

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
@AlanF - great series of this couple of Kingfishers! Such beautiful birds - and so fast unless sitting down ;)... Did you have any opportunity for 'in motion' shots? (swinging the fish against the branch to stun / diving / returning from the dive / etc. ...)
W.
And some more - I took the 5DIV with bare 400mm f/4 to get these shots for you, sacrificing resolution for speed.