Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Hi All,
I have followed this site for a few years now and have always been so impressed with the quality of photography that I see every time.
I have always been in awe at the way you people capture those amazing images and have been practising to improve my own photography. so far I have generally only been able to get static birds sharpish and am actively practising with BIF to improve.
Would be interested to hear some C& C on this one, Female Siskin.
5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4
Lovely shot, and the colours. I also like very much the 5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4xTC. For BIF, it's easier to leave off the 1.4xTC as the focus is faster and the field of view is easier to manage, as well being able to use more AF points and higher shutter speeds.
Welcome to the thread and keep posting!

RGB49

5DSR
Mar 31, 2019
Lovely shot, and the colours. I also like very much the 5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4xTC. For BIF, it's easier to leave off the 1.4xTC as the focus is faster and the field of view is easier to manage, as well being able to use more AF points and higher shutter speeds.
Thanks Alan, I have been a great admirer of your stunning work and it was seeing your work that prompted me to get the 5DSR , thanks also for the tip about leaving off the 1.4 TC

Reactions: AlanF

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Hmm i dont know how you can define sharpness with 1megapixel internet picture :p I think alan talked about 5dsr and tit was tooked 5div. We dont know how much pictures are cropped

Great pictures keith
Agree, also I would like to know the aperture and distance for judging - eye area looks fine to me...

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
And my contribution from the weekend: after ~2 years chasing and trying to figure out the behavior of these very shy birds I finally got something that I can post on this site - Red Avadavat (Amandava amandava). Got them on the edge of small town nearby - obviously much more confident in presence of humans (my best shot from before was from ~20 meters/yards, for bird 9.5-10cm in size, about 5-6 encounters of the bird).
First two are juveniles. One female after that (sorry, not good photo ~12 meters away in the midle of hot day - Hawaii). The rest are males in transition from breeding to non-breeding plumage. In breeding they are completely red with even more white dots (see the Internet).

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Sharpness and resolution aren't everything. I am quite pleased with these two shots of a female kingfisher with a fish, taken a week apart. The top one is with the 5DSR +400mm DO II and 1.4xTC. You can see every tiny detail of the feathers and it could be blown up really large. The lower is with the 5DIV + 400mm DO II, without the TC and 30% further away (I returned with the 5DIV hoping to capture action better as it focusses faster and with a greater frame rate). The resolution with the 5DIV is down by a factor of 4, but I actually prefer its shot because I like much better the fish.

View attachment 183706View attachment 183707
Alan, in the second photo I don't know what I like more - the Kingfisher or the fish (great anyway!):)?

Last edited:

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Oh, I forgot some photos that I got Saturday (the previous series are from Sunday). Just the common guys from the rain-forest... but I love them and take a shot whenever I see them! Red-billed Leiothrix and two shots of White-rumped Shama. Leiothrix is exercise at 1600 ISO - little bit too much for my camera...

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
That looks really soft to me - where's all the sharpness and detail you're so insistent the 7D Mk II can't produce, Alan?

Meanwhile, this is what my 7D Mk II (with a 500mm f/4 Mk II and 1.4x TC, handheld) looks like:

Stonechat, male

Stonechat, male

Stonechat, female

I'll stick to my 7D Mk II, I think...
I have challenged you to dig up where I have ever written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail, and am still awaiting your reply. During the meanwhile, I'll show a similar shot to yours from my 5DIV attached to a 400mm DO II at 800mm, with a 2xTC that lowers image quality and is inferior to your 500mm f/4 + 1.4xTC. My shot of a female whinchat was taken handheld last November in Tanzania.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
And a male stonechat on the same day. Exposure wasn't good for this one as the white collar was strongly reflecting light and I had to raise exposure by an ev in post and lower the highlights. Remarkably, the bird is ringed, and possibly had been ringed in Europe and flown to Africa.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Oh, I forgot some photos that I got Saturday (the previous series are from Sunday). Just the common guys from the rain-forest... but I love them and take a shot whenever I see them! Red-billed Leiothrix and two shots of White-rumped Shama. Leiothrix is exercise at 1600 ISO - little bit too much for my camera...View attachment 183728View attachment 183729View attachment 183730
They are very sharp. What camera are you using? I am envious of where you live!

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
And a male stonechat on the same day. Exposure wasn't good for this one as the white collar was strongly reflecting light and I had to raise exposure by an ev in post and lower the highlights. Remarkably, the bird is ringed, and possibly had been ringed in Europe and flown to Africa.

I really like this shot. Nicely done, Alan.