Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
I have been trying to get some shots of longtailed tits but they generally keep well away and flit quickly from branch to branch. A couple of weeks ago I got some shots using the 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC. But, they were too far away. When I downloaded I saw he had an insect in his beak, and that was perhaps why he stayed around long enough to be photoed. However, they were too small and I put them to one side. This weekend, however, one got close and I was armed with then 5DSR at about half the distance with the same lenses. What a difference the shorter distance and sharper sensor makes when shooting small birds. Here are the 5DIV images for reference and the 5DSR in the next post.

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
For the last few years I keep trying to find the Violet-green Swallows, especially the full adults, perching relatively close to eye level(and nearby). Sunday while wandering through the local mountains, I noticed a group that kept swooping around this fallen trunk with a large knothole about 4' from the ground. Even better, the hill sloped down enough so I could sit on the ground and be right at eye level for what seemed to be a favorite perch. This might be a future nest site as there was a lot of interest in the cavity.

5DSR 600 II w/1.4X TC III 1/500 : f/9 : ISO 400

5DSR 600 II w/1.4X TC III 1/640 : f/9 : ISO 400

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
For the last few years I keep trying to find the Violet-green Swallows, especially the full adults, perching relatively close to eye level(and nearby). Sunday while wandering through the local mountains, I noticed a group that kept swooping around this fallen trunk with a large knothole about 4' from the ground. Even better, the hill sloped down enough so I could sit on the ground and be right at eye level for what seemed to be a favorite perch. This might be a future nest site as there was a lot of interest in the
5DSR 600 II w/1.4X TC III 1/640 : f/9 : ISO 400
Beautiful shots!

Reactions: ERHP and ISO64

jprusa

EOS RP
Apr 29, 2013
For the last few years I keep trying to find the Violet-green Swallows, especially the full adults, perching relatively close to eye level(and nearby). Sunday while wandering through the local mountains, I noticed a group that kept swooping around this fallen trunk with a large knothole about 4' from the ground. Even better, the hill sloped down enough so I could sit on the ground and be right at eye level for what seemed to be a favorite perch. This might be a future nest site as there was a lot of interest in the cavity.

5DSR 600 II w/1.4X TC III 1/500 : f/9 : ISO 400
Nice shot of a beautiful bird

Reactions: ERHP