Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Alan, it is a birders paradise but like anything it's possible to let your imagination go too far. I had a strange mix of thrill and disappointment. I guess it's like most places, while the birds are there, they don't necessarily show themselves when you'd like and often they are hidden in underbrush where it is dark.

A day is essentially 6 AM to 6 PM and morning is best for light since often clouds roll in in the afternoon, so shooting time is limited. If you decide to go, I could offer some suggestions. My 17 days on the ground were too few in that they didn't allow the necessary sitting around in good places letting the birds come to me.

Jack

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Better lighting on this guy. If you're considering Costa Rica for a bird shoot, I would strongly suggest researching the area you plan to visit to see if it meets your needs and then go there for a fair number of days rather than traipsing around, two days here, two days there. A last minute change had me book two good areas (one was Quetzal NP) for 4 days each and I'm very thankful for that. Also check into the nesting season, which luckily for me was in progress for the Quetzals.

JackView attachment 183974
Very nice shots from Costa Rica, Jack!
The one in your post reminds me quite a bit of my Suriname trip of last year ;):p - this bird also likes to go on holiday :D

W.

AaronT

EOS 80D
Jan 5, 2013
Right off the bat I have to say that my photos from yesterday are not nearly as colourful as the wonderful photos that Jack has posted. Great shots Jack! Anyway, yesterday I got my first shots of a bald eagle in Ontario, just a bit north of Thamesville. The nest shot is a tight crop and the next 2 are 100% crops. The last is a shot from my cell phone from alongside the camera. The nest was a bit over 100 yards away. Shot with a 5DsR, 100-400L with a 1.4 TC. ISO 800 at F9.5, on tripod.

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Right off the bat I have to say that my photos from yesterday are not nearly as colourful as the wonderful photos that Jack has posted. Great shots Jack! Anyway, yesterday I got my first shots of a bald eagle in Ontario, just a bit north of Thamesville. The nest shot is a tight crop and the next 2 are 100% crops. The last is a shot from my cell phone from alongside the camera. The nest was a bit over 100 yards away. Shot with a 5DsR, 100-400L with a 1.4 TC. ISO 800 at F9.5, on tripod.
That 5DSR is a winner for these long distance shots. The naysayers don't know what they are missing! I love Junior.

Reactions: AaronT

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.

AaronT

EOS 80D
Jan 5, 2013
That 5DSR is a winner for these long distance shots. The naysayers don't know what they are missing! I love Junior.
Yes, Junior is at the ugly swan stage. I am pleasantly surprised how good the 100% crops are. The 100-400L and 1.4 TC are Ver 1.

AlanF

5DSR
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, Junior is at the ugly swan stage. I am pleasantly surprised how good the 100% crops are. The 100-400L and 1.4 TC are Ver 1.
You are very lucky to have such a sharp copy of the original 100-400mm. The good ones were very good. I had a soft copy and could never get a sharp image unless close up and filling the frame.

Reactions: AaronT

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.
Nice capture of the great Tit - just when it is singing :). Makes a person feel happy just seeing it
W.

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Hey Wiebe, match this one from Costa Rica. A (not) very raree bird indeed. And tasty too.

Jack
Hi Jack, pity you didn't post this one last week - just had a holiday and there was a whole flock of chickens and roosters running around the holiday let... I just didn't take any pictures of them :confused:;). So - sorry but can't match yours :D
W.

Reactions: Jack Douglas