Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.

View attachment 183998View attachment 183999
Nice shots Alan

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I didn't have the opportunity to shoot in the weekend. Instead I took a day off Tuesday to make a chaperone for friends visiting from New York. It was fun but concerning the birds - no much hopes. At the very end of a round trip in botanical garden we noticed two Gray Francolins running in front of us. Their track was predictable and I just went forward to "freeze" in front of the place where they were expected to appear (under the bushes). After that my "hunting dogs" (I mean my friends:)) started approaching the bushes where the birds were hiding. I was waiting ~5-7 minutes ("frozen"!} and nothing. My friends (not birders but in this case it was helpful) were asking (loudly!): did you got them? And I just noticed some movement ~10 meters in front of me! One of the birds was there! And very confident in the low light under that canopy! I got some shots but when I tried to change the angle it just went running (and the second bird after it)!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I'm stumped and have one guess but I'll wait for feedback. I think it's wearing a disguise.

Jack

View attachment 184066
And I'm ready to sleep:) - long day today. I promise I will try tomorrow (not sure I can succeed!) Did you say " disguise" - that is perfect one, any time I fail to identify a bird I'm going to use it (no "TM" next to your original posting :D!) Nice photo BTW and that is what makes the music! (Hey, is it a branch of Plumeria there?)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I didn't have the opportunity to shoot in the weekend. Instead I took a day off Tuesday to make a chaperone for friends visiting from New York. It was fun but concerning the birds - no much hopes. At the very end of a round trip in botanical garden we noticed two Gray Francolins running in front of us. Their track was predictable and I just went forward to "freeze" in front of the place where they were expected to appear (under the bushes). After that my "hunting dogs" (I mean my friends:)) started approaching the bushes where the birds were hiding. I was waiting ~5-7 minutes ("frozen"!} and nothing. My friends (not birders but in this case it was helpful) were asking (loudly!): did you got them? And I just noticed some movement ~10 meters in front of me! One of the birds was there! And very confident in the low light under that canopy! I got some shots but when I tried to change the angle it just went running (and the second bird after it)!
View attachment 184068View attachment 184069
This looks like what we called Hungarian partridge??

Jack

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
This looks like what we called Hungarian partridge??

No! It isn't it! It is why I prefer for some birds to apply the scientific names too... Compare Perdix perdix (the "Hungarian") against "Francolinus pondicerianus " (it comes from India and around)! On the Internet you can find a lot of them! It is easy to find differences between these two if you look carefully!

Reactions: Jack Douglas

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks guys. There were some in certain areas that were so plentiful that it was just a matter of time that one would pause for a shot. The flowers you see were the big attraction and they were like hedges so no shortage of subjects. Black-bellied Hummingbird (I think).
Here is the female of the Red-legged Honeycreeper. I believe I posted the black/purple male earlier.
I'm stumped and have one guess but I'll wait for feedback. I think it's wearing a disguise.

Jack

Beautiful pictures. Well done, Jack.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
And I'm ready to sleep:) - long day today. I promise I will try tomorrow (not sure I can succeed!) Did you say " disguise" - that is perfect one, any time I fail to identify a bird I'm going to use it (no "TM" next to your original posting :D!) Nice photo BTW and that is what makes the music! (Hey, is it a branch of Plumeria there?)
Of course I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over it, but if you're like me you just may be dreaming about it (or having nightmares). Checking the date it would have been shot in the Nuevo Arenal area. In my book I saw a couple that seemed vaguely similar but also strikingly different - Large-footed Finch??:unsure::confused: Plumeria, sure OK, whatever, there was lots of it in the area.

I believe this Summer Tanager is making up his/her mind to be male.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of yard work to do otherwise I'd be downright depressed about the photographic opportunities here at home! :( I hope my holiday shots aren't making others (Canadians) feel depressed!:cry:

Jack

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Of course I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over it, but if you're like me you just may be dreaming about it (or having nightmares). Checking the date it would have been shot in the Nuevo Arenal area. In my book I saw a couple that seemed vaguely similar but also strikingly different - Large-footed Finch??:unsure::confused: Plumeria, sure OK, whatever, there was lots of it in the area.

I believe this Summer Tanager is making up his/her mind to be male.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of yard work to do otherwise I'd be downright depressed about the photographic opportunities here at home! :( I hope my holiday shots aren't making others (Canadians) feel depressed!:cry:

Jack

View attachment 184089
In your shoes I would check for the Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) instead of Large-footed finch...
Very nice photo!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Nice photos dpc! My problems with viewing your post after log-on persist. Very strange... On two different computers.

Reactions: dpc

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
In your shoes I would check for the Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) instead of Large-footed finch...
Very nice photo!
Thanks, as usual I'd say you're right. My bird is definitely disguized pretty well relative to various samples though so I don't feel to bad in failing. My book shows a much lighter version.

Rufous-collared Sparrow

Jack

Attachments