Show your Bird Portraits

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
I just love the colorful little hummers! We were in Colombia last year with Glenn and saw lots of beauties; plus the myriad of spectacular tanagers. This is a little buff tail (?)--unprocessed, straight out of camera 7DMII + 100-400II handheld--that I then used in an art project with multiple layers of texture I made plus blending modes, cloning.
Catherine
Beautiful. Well done, Catherine.

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Lovely shot, Jack. You can go to do your more important duties, but don't forget to come back to post more of your beautiful pictures.

Reactions: Jack Douglas

Cog

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
A few more of bittern shots. This was the first time I could get really close to these birds. They seemed to be so preoccupied with hunting so they just ignored me and the boat.

And these two are from Olympus em-1 mII + 300mm for comparison.

Cog

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
BTW, I have a question about IDing the bird on the last photo. Is it a bittern in breeding plumage, or is it a different smaller heron? I suspect it might be striated heron.

Last edited:
Reactions: jprusa

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
Was walking around a local island looking for any of the local raptors, unsuccessfully, when a Horned Lark flew in and started singing. It took me a bit to drop down and then push the rig over to almost MFD but I think the effort was worth it. Light was coming and going behind the the late afternoon clouds.

1DX MK II 600 w/1.4X 1/500 : f/11 : ISO 1000

For anyone interested, also a short snippet of 4K video I took slightly later when the light finally started to go, https://youtu.be/zlaTFm4n0Nw . I keep forgetting about the 4K crop factor but really did not want to mess up a good thing by moving backwards.

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
Aug 26, 2014
A few more of bittern shots. This was the first time I could get really close to these birds. They seemed to be so preoccupied with hunting so they just ignored me and the boat.

And these two are from Olympus em-1 mII + 300mm for comparison.

Nice series.

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
Aug 26, 2014
Was walking around a local island looking for any of the local raptors, unsuccessfully, when a Horned Lark flew in and started singing. It took me a bit to drop down and then push the rig over to almost MFD but I think the effort was worth it. Light was coming and going behind the the late afternoon clouds.

1DX MK II 600 w/1.4X 1/500 : f/11 : ISO 1000

For anyone interested, also a short snippet of 4K video I took slightly later when the light finally started to go, https://youtu.be/zlaTFm4n0Nw . I keep forgetting about the 4K crop factor but really did not want to mess up a good thing by moving backwards.
What a beauty! Great light; nice background and color.

Reactions: ISv and ERHP