Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Ilko, thanks... as to comparison - the location / angle / distance were all identical (to the nearest 0.1m ;)) so indeed 50% more linear detail to be captured. Shooting conditions / settings were different though (high ISO on the 100-400 shot, causing some loss of contrast / detail).
My non scientific assessment after a couple of days:
100-400mm II can achieve the best detail / sharpness - if you can get close enough for good framing
60-600mm comes quite close in sharpness and contrast while adding reach for tight framing - if you can handle the weight or work from a tripod / monopod (the additional kilo of weight, way in front of the camera, makes itself felt...)
100-400 II + 1.4xTC III (so 560mm f/8) lags behind a bit in contrast / sharpness (all on my 7DmkII)
So this new lens will be used on occasions reserved for photography, where I know I'll need tightest possible framing (or need the massive flexibility in framing of the 10x zoom). When hiking "with the possibility of capturing a nice shot" I'm using the 100-400 for its lower weight, easier handling and excellent quality.
W.

P.S. I'll try the 60-600 + 1.4xTC for the 840mm reach while on holiday - see what result I can get with that :p (on crop body so >1200mm equivalent :eek:)
It's an interesting lens. I'd like to try it out. From the various reviews, it seems to be optimised for 600mm and is sharper there than at 400mm, and as I would use it at 600mm I prefer it that way. Each year I get older, I need a lighter lens unfortunately, and I appreciate the 100-400mm more and more. The 1.4xTC works well on my Sigma. 150-600mm

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
Nice photo ERHP!
And squirrels are OK - the victim here is something from dormice (Gliridae - check the Internet). The size would correspond to Hazel dormouse. On other hand the oak in the background is an American species (and I fall as a Sherlock:))
Thanks ISv! Here we refer to those as California ground squirrels as they tend to burrow into the ground. The oak/pine forests where I usually shoot at supports a very large population of these, which in turn helps give me the occasional predator opportunity.

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
The very little free time in the last two weeks was spent in botanical gardens - I was making chaperone of my visitors from NY (when I could). Almost no birds.
Here are few from today - I took off this afternoon to practice shooting in very contrast light and mostly wide-open lens...

Nice series, ISv.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Yesterday, cycling home I saw a young heron in a brook, and fortunately I had my 5DSR + 100-400mm II slung over my shoulder. The heron was fishing for sticklebacks. I set the shutter speed to 1/3200s as the beak was flashing at high speed and never still when a fish was there. Looking at the images, the ones I liked the best were those where the drops of water were prominent as they show the movement and are almost as interesting as the fish.

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Stunning series of shots, and if this young Heron can replicate the dual catch for a mate they should do well!

Cheers, Graham.

Yesterday, cycling home I saw a young heron in a brook, and fortunately I had my 5DSR + 100-400mm II slung over my shoulder. The heron was fishing for sticklebacks. I set the shutter speed to 1/3200s as the beak was flashing at high speed and never still when a fish was there. Looking at the images, the ones I liked the best were those where the drops of water were prominent as they show the movement and are almost as interesting as the fish.

View attachment 185122

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
With the size of that fish... the hatch needs a lot of refilling :D
Nice shots Alan!
W.
Thanks. It was scoffing the tiddlers one after the other. It had a try at a duckling but Mrs Duck had a go at it.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Some more shots from the Farne Islands by my wife. I set up the 5DSR + 100-400mm II with custom settings C1, C2 and C3 for her and all she has to do is compose and shoot, which she often does much better than me and has a different eye. She finds the 5DSR much easier to use and more reliable than my mirrorless cameras.